Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
cgates30

Re: Roll call

Post by cgates30 »

Hey All,
I've got a Porsche 912E with 2.0L T4 with the stock fuel injection. The engine was last rebuilt about 45K miles ago, there's an occasional oil drip found on the garage floor but for the most part it runs well (well, despite a vacuum leak in the FI). I'd really like to increase the output so the car can keep up with my wife's Honda Fit EV. Yeah, I know. The EV's have really good low end torque and can smoke many things on the roads in town, but it's the Honda Fit part that's killing me. Nevertheless, my long term plan is to rebuild the engine with an eye for bumping the ponies from 85 to the 110-120 range. That, with the sound of an air cooled engine, would do the trick. :)

-cgates30
Merkfalc

Post by Merkfalc »

Guess I should have read the sticky first:) I just bought a 74 super. Looking at turning it into a german looker. Picking up a 1.8 914 motor this weekend and 944 brakes as soon as the guy pulls them. The super has already been lowered. Fenders need a bit of work, but there isn't any rust on the thing. Glass is good and every thing seems to work great. Looking forward to getting this thing on the road!

David
MegaManx

Post by MegaManx »

Hi all!
So I live in Queensland Australia, and am planning the build for my tube frame street / track/ hill climb/ weekender Manx. For that Manx I am also building a big power type 4!
Pbnjimages

Post by Pbnjimages »

Steve here, and I have a 74 412 with a 1.8. The PO bolted a pair of weber 44s on it, way too much carb for the engine. My choices were buy smaller carbs or make engine bigger. Compression test shows very even but low compression, 108 to 113, with little to no change after a bit of oil was added to cylinders, so heads need a little work. After reading everything I can from Jack, I've decided to go 2056. Don't want a monster, as it's still mated to a slush box, some I'm thinking KB 96MM pistons, AA cylinders, recon 71mm crank, 9500 cam, and heads gone through. 2.0 standard rods with ARP bolts. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
larsje

Post by larsje »

Hi all!
Got a 72 campervan which will get an MS upgrade in the future. And possibly afterwards a bigger engine (1700 now).

Also rebuilding a 55 beetlw sice a long time, but a type 1 engine for that.

Already posted a question, to which i cannot seem to find the awnser: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147258

Thanks for your support!
djway3474

Post by djway3474 »

Hello All, I just picked up my first 914 since around 1990. Recently got back into Air Cooled and I now have a 72 Hippie bus with a 1.7, little carbs and hydrolic lifters , aftermarket exhaust so she wheezes over 4k and slow to go but is very reliable and runs nice and cool. I was told she was rebuilt around 10k mi ago and that is when the hydrolics were added. Has a high top body also that which not help with the drag. I am restoring a 59 Karmann Ghia that I would love a TIV in but the conversion cost may be prohibitive. I just sold my TransAm WS6 (one of the last ever built) and got me a 74 1.8 all original 914. Big change in HP for my daily drive and slower than 914s from my past but boy do I smile driving it. Got most of the gremlins fixed so now on to the bigger stuff. I was convinced to buy a 2.0 out of a Vanagon so I have that sitting around along with a spare injection set up from another vanagon. I also have a little type 1 69mm SPG roller motor sitting around that can be gone through.
I am no motor guy and I have always done a Voodoo dance when I look at a motor but it is time for me to learn. Some doctors disabled me a few years ago and tinkering on my Air cooled is my motivation to get up every day, but I am POOR so do it myself is my only option. Still fighting the system to be compensated, David meet Goliath. I am now trying to decide what to use in which car. I would like to get the 914 up to around 100hp and keep injection. I would like to make the bus get on the freeway a bit easier. The Ghia I just want to blast up the on ramp then cruise. No drag racing for me.
I am in Riverside CA so there are lots of places to do the work I absolutely cant do at home within a decent distance but cost is a MAJOR factor.
I guess I should post this in the body of this forum to get suggestions of what I should do to what, and what parts I need to keep an eye out for to complete each project.
I hear this is the place to be for the T IV info so thanks for having me
999argonaut

Post by 999argonaut »

Hi all, I have been an Alfa Romeo guy all my life (sorry) and was looking for an early 70's bertone but having a really hard time finding one that matched my budget and requirements (no rust anyone?). Along came this lovely 912E. I was first a little skeptical about the Porsche / VW intercourse vibe but thanks to the huge support community around the Type 4 and all the wonderful things you can do with these engines I took the plunge and picked one up from the bay (probably not the wisest way to procure an automobile I know). I live in Europe so it was pretty much a 2 month wait for the car to make its way over here during which time I got hooked on this forum (and a few others who shall not be named here) learning about all the Type 4. Now it is my misfortune (or perhaps luck?) that the car has some engine issues (bearings shot) and needs to be taken apart anyway so my hands are itching to give the old girl a few more ponies and make her run like you would expect of something looking like a 911.
Glasser

Post by Glasser »

Hi All. Been playing with mostly buggies and sand rails for a very long time. Currently own a 1960 Dune Buggy that I built myself. I built a 1776 for it and maybe i'm going through a mid life crises or something, not sure but I need more get up and go so I'm taking the leap into type 4 territory. Looking forward to getting to know you all and checking out your projects.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Just joined the forum. I just picked up a 1976 Porsche 912e, with type 4 fuel injection and smog equipment, here in Los Angeles. The car had an engine compartment fire that toasted all parts above the long block including wiring. Fire burned for about 3-5 minutes, hope the cases are ok?
I would love to get rid of the smog parts and the fuel injection but need it for state emissions requirements.
I want to put it back together, anyone have any direction on where to find parts and maybe upgrades to the type 4 motor to get a little more power?
grimmreaper

Post by grimmreaper »

Just joined the forum but I have been around this forum for years. Probably was registered via a different name and email that no longer exists.

I have a 71 Super, completely restored and modified a few years ago. It currently has a 1641 with a mild cam and dual carbs. I have a 2.0 liter type four motor I bought 10+ years ago off ebay. It is a FI motor out of a ~76 914. The heads have the air injection ports in them.

At this point I am not sure if I can afford to build the type 4 motor and stay happily married. I don't think I would do much to the motor other than a cam since it is already a 2000cc motor. It is cost to retrofit it in the bug that is the show stopper. I live in Phoenix, AZ but would not drive it that much. I was thinking of the Joe Cali upright conversion to save money.

I built the car around the German Look concept but it has morphed to a GL show car. So not sure if building the type 4 is even worth it other than the cool factor, plus more power and torque.

Thoughts anyone?
HRmax

Post by HRmax »

I've just found this forum but I've been surfing VW sites and forums for a number of years.

I have a 1978 Bay Window Kombi with a Westfalia camping conversion. It was originally registered in Arizona, USA and then imported to the UK in about 2012. I bought it from the guy who did the import and I drove it straight to the Northern Alps in France where I live.

Last year, we had the Kombi restored from the ground up, including having the 2L Type 4 engine and attached gearbox reconditioned.

Now I'm starting to realise how many things I have to do on the bus to get her into the sort of working order that I want. Anyway, that's part of the fun of owning an aircooled VW.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in the forum and listening to the advice and experience of the Type 4 crowd.

I'm happy to be here!
-Russell- :D
neilb

Post by neilb »

hi, i joined due to buying a type 4 to put in my 356. its a 1.7 out of a 914

looking forward to learn from those that have been messing with these engines for a lot longer than me

neil
'77 Westy

Post by '77 Westy »

Hi all, I’m Geoff (or Jeff in the US) recently joined but have been reading the forum for a long time; I’m a Brit living in France near Lyon. I was a rotating equipment engineer but retired 5 years ago when I reached 60.
I bought a 1977 Westfalia Bay about 8 years ago, spent 3 years rebuilding it and have been using it around Europe and the UK for the last 5 years. It has a 2.0l but eventually it will be 2.3l Type IV - once I’ve bought the parts and built it. My other classic ride is a 3.9l V8 MGB Roadster.
x-faktory

Post by x-faktory »

Greetings. I am a type IV newbie......I build hot rod 911 engines and aftermarket EFI/ITB systems for the 911. However, I had a 914 with a Fat Performance 2056 Type IV and really liked that engine..........just needed a bit more power.
I currently have a 1969 012 project that I initially was going to power with a 2.7RS+ spec 911 engine....but I am now leaning towards a Type IV engine. A 200HP EFI canyon carver engine would be ideal If I was building a 911 engine to that spec I would know what to do and where to source the goodies. I need to spool up on the Type IV, to ensure I build the best engine I can....this looks like it may be the place to gain that knowledge. I look forward to hearing any suggestions you might have. Links to builds and build details would be appreciated.

regards,
al

Al Kosmal
the x-faktory
[email protected]
RGruppe #669
www.x-faktory.com
RacerM95

Post by RacerM95 »

My name is Bob, I come from Manitoba Canada (or at this time of year Manisnowba) I have a 1973 Porsche 914/4 that I have wanted to work on for a few years, other projects just got in the way... I am now in the process of writing down, my goals for the project as well as locate parts....

This is my first Air Cooled VW engine..