Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Munchhausen

Re: Roll call

Post by Munchhausen »

Hi, my name is Andy and I am 33 years old. I come from the North of germany and just across this forum.
I have a 69 notch (shortnose) with an Typ4 GB with Megasquirt.
Very nice to see, how active you guys are in Typ4 conversions and EFI.
Gave me a feeling of home within minutes :D

AC wishes
Munchhausen
Jakespeeds

Post by Jakespeeds »

Hello! My name is Jake Reed. I am a 43 year old 3rd generation machinist and sheet metal mechanic in Ventura California where I run the family business. I have been trying to signup on this forum for about 2 months. It looks like whatever update just happened it fixed the registration as well. I have a lot of engine and car experience. I have worked for Precision Street Rods, Magoos Hot Rods before returning to the family business. I still build custom fuel injection systems for a lot of people and I used to build a lot of sprint car engines as well as build custom parts for those. In the last ten years I have been concentrating pretty hard on just the business and have been out of VW's for almost 20 years. I have owned 30 plus VW's and decided to build one more using the year I was never able to find back in the day. So now I have a 67 type 1. I fell into the Type 4 motor by chance. I have purchased and read Joe Cali's book and he has been generous enough to answer questions by email. I think I have a good idea of what I am going to do first which is just rebuild my ED 1.7 engine with the DRLA 45's I have and the stock fan shroud. From here who knows. I look forward to reading the answers from previous posts as well as my questions.

Jake
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Jake,

Welcome to STF! Sorry about the registration problems, but all should be well now.

I love '67s. And with T4! Yowser!! 8)

doc
surfaccing

Post by surfaccing »

howdy, names stewart. young gun from texas.
i've owned a 914 for a while now. not sure how long it's been sitting in my drive way. i bought the car as a project for $1000! it's a 1976 914 with a chalon body kit, the black hole has been fixed already 8) and the motor is "suppose" to be running. but iam not going to screw around with rebuilding the stock FI system. the only shop that is capable of doing it is way to busy as it is, and i can't afford that. so iam on the look out for a progressive carb kit for now.
now before iam jumped on for not being on the 914 forum (which i will introduce myself on shortly) is because iam planning to get my 914 running for now and start a type 4 street/race motor. i want to just embarrass ricers and a few of my buddies with there subaru wrx's which is no small feat to do with a 13second 1/4 car stock (granted u have to be a pro drag racer to do that).
for now iam staying with the stock 2l motor i have. but i would love to build a 2.2l-2.5l with a turbo and either a progressive or dual carbs. whether i go draw through or blow through will probably depend on which carbs i can get.
so before i start posting i assure u iam already doing research on motor builds and iam reading as much as i can. iam on a lot of forums and i know how testy u guys get when no one does there reading before posting :roll:
Sketchy_1

Post by Sketchy_1 »

Hey All!

My name is Doug and I have had an aircooled VW since the mid 80's. My Mom owned a squareback that I used to love riding in. Kinda bummed when she sold it. My neighbor got me into VW's when he was starting his VW restoration business so with his help I ended up purchasing and fixing up a 56 Ragtop Sepmaphore car when I was 17. I have kept the car ever since and stopped driving it daily in 2003. I have built several Type 1 engines for myself and friends but never a Type IV.

I am retired from the Marine Corps and in transition to a second career, so I have some time on my hands. As I rebuild the '56 I originally planned on doing another Type I, but I figure now is the time to go with the IV. The more I have read about them and their results, it's a wonder I didn't do it sooner. Looking forward to searching the 4rum archives to answer a lot of questions and interacting with you all as well. I am sure this will end up being a multi year project, but I have waited a long time to redo the car and looking forward to something new engine-wise.
Schiner

Post by Schiner »

Hey yall.

Dwayne from E. Tennessee here. Type 3 guy. I've got a 63 Notch and a 69 FI Auto Fastback - I've never driven either one, but I'm doing everything myself with the help of a friend (and no previous mechanical experience) and thesamba and now STF.

I got my Fastback in 2008, but really wanted a notch. Then 2 weeks later I found my notch and after a lot of begging - my wife let me get it too :D . The plan since then has been to learn on the Fasty then do the Notch right. After letting them both sit for 2 years, I finally got started working on the Fasty this spring. I think I'm pretty close to starting it up, but still need a couple parts. Last month I happened upon a T4 GD mostly complete for $100. I had read the project threads by ninja and bobnotch, so I was already intrigued. Plus all those guys that preach stockity stock at thesamba T3 forum are the same ones that trash Fastbacks every chance they get. So guess what....

I'm now cleaning the T4 engine and parts to see what I've got. It must have leaked like a fire hose, I can't believe the amount of crud... So far so good though. 2.0 heads that aren't cracked. SWEET. I've almost lost interest in getting the 1600 running. Gotta get past that though.

My immediate goals are 1. get the car running with the 1600 while I rebuild the T4 engine. 2. convert to the T4 with stock EFI before next summer's invasion (that might be a pipedream). 3. convert stock EFI to Megasquirt.

I'm learning to do everything myself (as much as reasonable) from assembly, to engine rebuild, to beating dents out, to welding, to possibly spraying paint. I just picked up a 67 swing axle torsion housing this weekend and I've got a line on an extra set of IRS trailing arms. I think that combo may be the first project that I take on. Gotta do some more research.

When I get going I'll start a thread with my progress. I'd love to here from any other E. Tenn. folks!
cgoffroad

Post by cgoffroad »

Hello all.
just sounding off to say hello and introduce myself. After some significant persuasion and reduced mobility i was forced to retire from the rock crawling scene after a violent off road accident. (me vs. tree, rock, wall, wall again, another tree, small cliff, 2 more trees, small creek and very big rock). Total loss of my crawler, and a few non vital body parts im back up and running. As a please don't do that again gift my wife bought me a 74 super and a garage full of used parts, among them is a 2000cc type 4 from a type 2 bus. I plan to freshen up the 2L, pull the non running 1600 and drop it in. there is a mountain of work to do but thankfully nothing life threatening. Iv worn out the search button and bookmarked a significant number of reference pages so i have a good base of knowledge to start off with. Ill be in and out here and there with a question or two and pictures too.

vr
CGO
joosep

Post by joosep »

Hello....
My name is Joosep.
I live in estonia and I would like to go from type1 to type4 but before that I Have to make 12s with stock 1600 :D Why type 4 ? haven´t tooken eaven it to parts but I have 1 engine with new pistons, new heads and bearings....and it looks a-lot stronger and with bigger power potenzial than type 1. Target is 300hp with stock type 4 longblock

I have thouse vw-s in this topic: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=133516
1 vw (orange one) is with type 1 with 30PSI of boost (it breaks down quite often :lol: )
but the car on the last (3) page is for my type 4 engine.

I would like to make it as light as possible with metal body panels and cheap way. Would like to convert it to bus gearbox (IRS) Target with typeIV is at-least 1 sec faster than orange car with type 1 but before that I have to get the orange car to 12s :D
nickt

Post by nickt »

Hello, I'm Nick, in the U.K.
I am a long flat 4 owner , bugs, buses, type 3, then 356's and now onto a 912. My new type 4 project engine is going in the 912 as the original engine is to be taken out and rebuilt/preserved.
I have a 1700 T4 and the plan is to fit 96mm b and p's, twin 40's, a cam, 911 fan and have a nice quick 912 !

Cheers, Nick.
Ricdel

Post by Ricdel »

My name is Ric del Rosario and live in Grand Rapids, MI.
My wife now owns a JPS Motorsports '57 Speedster on a '73 pan.
Engine is a 2.0 912E Type IV with 1800 heads with big valves and dual 40 IDFs.
I also race vintage formula vees that utilize 1192cc type I engines which I re-build myself.

I will do a search on the 4um regarding this problem.
The Type IV runs strong and maintains highway speeds nicely. The issue is when driving around town at about 3000 RPM. The car will pull from a stop, then while holding the throttle barely on, trying to maintain speed, the engine will cut off completely. If the throttle is held in the same position, the engine will come on again, rev up to about 3000 RPM and shut off again. If the throttle position is held, the engine will cycle like this. Makes for difficult city driving.

Today, I will do what I can to adjust the idle screws and balance the two carbs as I think it is carb related. I have almost zero experience with Weber 40 IDF carbs.

Thanks.

Ric del
babysnakes

Post by babysnakes »

My name's Erik. Got my 1st ACVW back in 1979. I've had quite a few since. I've always done my own maint. and repair work. I was out of the loop for about 10 years and got back into it 3 years ago. I built my 1st engine (for my '72 bus) a year ago. I did all the work except for the line bore myself. 1600,W100, CW crank, dual 34ICTs and full flowed. 6000 miles now. I'm currently putting together a 2.0 T-4 that I ordered from Ca. It's all stock with "new rebuilt" heads, stock FI. It should be ready in a month or so. It's for my '78 Westy. I also have a '69 single cab having body work done as I try to type this. I am planning on putting a large T-4 engine and a 091 tranny in it. I have the tranny and a few T-4 cases. I'll be studying on here to determine what I am going to do with that build. Then I'll post my ideas and most likely be corrected and put on the right path. Thanks for letting me introduce myself.
Orange

Post by Orange »

Hi all
Im Paul, I live just south of a sleepy town called London, England. I've been into and have owned nothing but Aircolled VWs since I was 18, 20 years ago. My first car back then was a 64 splitscreen that Im now trying to get back on the road.
ImageImage

Ive learnt all I know about engine's having to deal with problems like this

But after a last miunte bid on e-bay Ive ended up with a 2.0l type 4 engine that I brought for my van, trouble Is Ive never even seen one before I picked this up so Ill be tapping into the knowlage of this forum to get this beast turning

This is my Van restoration Blog
paulssplit.blogspot.com
And this will be the engine build posts in the blog
My Type 4 Engine Build
splashbug

Post by splashbug »

Hi, My name is Mike and I live in Fennville,Mich. I have had a few acvws in my life time. when I was younger I had a bus and a bug. rolled the bug and sold the bus. got married had kids, and when my son at age one and a half seen his first herbie move and that was all it took, he was sold he started his first collection (hot wheels)L.O.L. untill he was 12 yrs old when we bought him his first real vw beetle, now he has a 74super,a 57oval and I have a 69 beetle,(splashbug) you may have seen around. a 69 baja and a 79 camper bus.I have some issues with my type 4 motor. we have a car club too for air cooled and water cooled vws (the goodvolks.com) check us out we are always inviting new members we are low key no dues club. participation is all we ask our next show will be at Martin speedway in Martin, Michigan on Oct 2nd 2011
d55dave

Post by d55dave »

Hello all

I introduced myself here a few minutes ago but it looks like it hasn't worked, so here we go again...

First off, thanks for what looks like a great site with good people and lots of info, this is exactly what I need rite now!

I am a helicopter mechanic from western Canada who has take on a 10 year old stalled out project of converting an early 70's bug with a type 4 engine. I am new to vw's, but have been working on cars all my life, mostly American muscle cars, specifically mopars, and I also do a little drag racing.

I look forward to getting to know you all, I will post up some questions!

David
golftdibrad

Post by golftdibrad »

Hi all, I'm trying to research the best piston kit/crank/rod combo that get me to about 150hp for.... less than an ej20 or 13b swap would. after that the swap become much more attractive. Trying to dig through all the info available on the air-cooled type 4 has been a bit overwhelming, especially considering how much t 1-3 info is mixed in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The application is a kit car prototype I picked up that has some issues. Its a hoot to drive now, but a trip to the dyno said its missing about half its horsepower. I will do mostly autox and aggressive street with the car.

picture of the car:

I have a core available and the builder is willing to do most of the engine work for me, he has some aircooled vw experience. I'd like to stick with 96mm piston this time around but paired with a stroker crank and cam.... any advice? can some one point to any good threads with detailed build info?

Thanks!