Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
ouvw2

Post by ouvw2 »

My Name is RandyFitzgerald and Im 32. I started out loving Vws in California. Thanks to my dad who was a machanic and had one in the early 80s. He tought me how to drive a 4 speed in a sunbug, After that I was hooked for life. As of today I have owned a total of 22 different bugs in various states of dispare.
Today, Im a welder by trade and a father and I think a husband. I have a 73 super for a daily driver and Im restoring a 74 standard in the Cal look way. In 1999 in discovered Joe Calis book and then it was all over for me. It is T-4 or nothing!
In 1999 I joined SEVWC and became a car show judge and a monthly attendie with St Augustine and Daytona chapters. If I dont have it in my blood by now I never will!

Randy
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

What kind of vws do you drive? What kind of type 4 are you rocking?

Career -- Help Janitors buy Toilet Paper & Tampons (Janitorial Supplies) don't laugh... all the other kids wanted to be firemen and police guys

Location -- St. Paul Minnesota

VWs -- 60 Bug Restoration, 63 Class 5 Baja, 69 Barris Mini-T (dune buggy), 72 Street Baja, 73 Thing (I just sold 6 from our fleet)

Type 4 Project --- Dropping a Complete 2.0 Type 4 power train into the 72 baja.... it has working FI

Great Thread

(Like AA) Reason for being here -- I have all the bugme videos --- Jake's great work on the rebuild video convinced me T4 is the way to go.

You guys rock.... Timmy

can't wait to receive Jake's New video
Rescue912

Post by Rescue912 »

My name is Kent and I live in Lafayette, Indiana. I grew up about 10 blocks from the largest VW/Porsche importer in the state and my first ride was in a 1967 VW bus.

I've done a little bit of everything - tend to get bored easily :) I was (am?) a certified welder, apprenticed timberframer, class 5 machinist and run websites for a lot of independent record labels. In the days of Bilk & Money the startup I worked for got bought out so I cashed my options and ran like hell.

Started another place with a couple friends and we install network based intrustion detection sytems and do penetration testing - I tell people I break into places for a living ... life is good

We just bought a new house so I am down to a single 912. Sold off the other 912, bay window bus and the aussie capri. Will soon be selling the '62 Imperial I just got done.

Only built Porsche motors so far. Got lots of T4 parts in waiting in the wings. Next Type 4 Project? Who knows. Love to have a ghia, bug, bus, 912 or even a 356...
turboteener

Post by turboteener »

My name is Brett. I am in Huntsville Al and love my 914 even though I wrecked it. It had a 140hp 2056 in and I am refreshing that motor with a new cam, header, and some custom heads. I am also building a 2056 for a friend. Engines are my thing and cars that handle great. I am currently in the middle of a turbo Honda civic build up and the crew chief and engine team leader for the UAH Formula SAE team.

I am planning on running a 914 in GT3 or maybe GT2 in the future, Might shoot for Ep or FP also haven't decided. Also planning on the ultimate 914 street car, dual a-arm suspension front and rear, 250-300hp t4 motor or one off 4.0+ litre DOHC V8.

Right now I am working on a set of welded and heavily modified T4 heads, smaller combustion chambers (35cc), bigger valves, better exhaust and intake ports and maybe some one off roller rockers that should take up the rest of my time. Just picked up a copy of Ricardo Wave 5.0 software so I should probably find some time to run that as well.
Alpine

Post by Alpine »

Brett,

I'd never heard of the Ricardo simulation software before reading your post. I found their web site and read a little about the software but I didn't see any system requirements or pricing information. Can you tell me how much the software costs and what the system requirements are?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have sampled their software, and it was very close to the Engine Analyzer Pro software that I now use.......It did not incorporate several things that I consider important, like EA does.
tuna

Post by tuna »

Well, it's good to hear from both active posters and from the lurkers. I had a good time reading all of your posts.

Any how, as for myself. My name is Tom Slider, known to the VW-world as "Tuna". I live in southern Califonia, in a city called Redlands, which is about halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs. Redlands is just northeast of Riverside (the home of the original EMPI) and about 30 miles east of Pomona (as in the drag strip and the infamous Pomona Swap Meet). I work for a local high school as a computer resource person.

I've been into VWs since high school, circa '88. I started working for Unique Supply here in Redlands in April '91 and worked there for a total of 5.5 years. There I learned a lot about VWs and the VW industry. One of my co-workers was a former member of the Der Kleiner Panzers(DKP) and he became a sort of mentor. I had the luck to follow him and the rest of the DKPIII to the Spring Jamboree '91. From then on I've always been a fan of the Cal-Look style with a powerful engine to back it up.

It was then one of my customers built a drag Bug and had a buddy build him a drag racing Type 4. After many discussions, I started my journey on learning about Type 4s, a journey I'm still on.

After learning HTML and web publishing, I took my notes from my research and first posted my tech articles on the web. After receiving emails from people who were asking the same questions, my friend Rolf and I decided we needed to have a web site where people could learn the basics about the Type 4 and it's use in a Bug. That's what started Type 4: Secrets Revealed.

I've met a lot of great people through my site and through this forum. For those that don't know, I'm the web guy for both of Jake's web sites.

Anyhow, as for my current projects, my current Type 4 project is a 2056cc (almost identical to the one Jake has in his 912E) daily driver for my '69 Bug. My parents bought this car brand new a few months after they got married from Economotors of Riverside. I grew up in it, so I never sell it, it's mine forever.

At the same time I'm building a new driver, this time a '60 Bug. I haven't started the engine on this one, but I'm leaning towards a 2316cc. I wish I could afford Nickies, but I can't, so 96s are in the picture for now. I want this motor to provide the necessary performance on the drag strip to keep up with most Type 1s, yet have the reliability of the Type 4.

I'd also like to take this moment to welcome those new to the Type 4 engine to check out my site. I think you'll learn a lot about the Type 4 there.

Your forum moderator,

tuna
http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - https://type4secrets.blogspot.com/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - coming soon!
EMPI Imp Homepage - coming soon!
My VWs - http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/p/my-vdubs_5.html
theo_m24

Post by theo_m24 »

My name is Ted M...... , I just turned 30 , Backgroud: Florida native, Marine Corp, College, Electronics Engineering Tech, Currently a Student to become an R.N and eventually a Nurse Practioner.... :D :D

Asked a friend Years ago in high School..why doesn't anyone use bus
engine??? If it can push a bus Imagine what it could do in a beetle. He told me they were a pain in the ass to work on and hard to fit..

That just didn't make sense to me... Anyways about a year ago when I got
back in acvw's came across this forum to see people actually doing what I
thought made sense years ago..

Car I've Had
63 beetle
70 Bus RIP
96 Jetta RIP
95 Golf
73 super

My Current Car 64 Vert.... This summer if all goes to plan going to Type IV
powered...
d_roedel

Post by d_roedel »

i am 18, going to college at Cal poly and have always been into cars, started out aiming for muscle cars but got sucked into VWs by my friends and am now stuck there,,,
recently sold my sandrail with a 1700 t4, and now have a 63 bug,
planning on converting to irs, and have a 2258 in the works with the help of the forum,,
BajaT4

Post by BajaT4 »

My name is Tom, mechanical engineer by day... I've been wrenching on VWs since 1982 or so, started working underneath cars when I was 3, been welding since I was 14 and have owned 28+ various VWs. I still own the first car I ever bought though it looks quite a bit better than it did 18 years ago. I stuck my first Type 4 in the back of that Bug back in 1986 just so I could beat my buddy's 914. I got a lot of, "How'd you do that's" and, "why'd you do that's" back then but am glad to see the T4 craze is catching on.

I'll make my gratuitous plug here and say that John over at AC.net and Jake, you have both been a HUGE help over the past couple of years!
pinkham

Post by pinkham »

I'm Dave. I built my 57 Baja when it was thirteen. Still have it. About 15 years ago I bought a kit to put a bus transaxle in the baja. Then I was at the salvage yard and spotted a 412 fastback. A little light went on. Hmmm. Type 4 transmission, type 4 engine, type 4 transmission, type 4 engine. Big engine. Tough engine. So I bought the engine and transmission from the salvage yard. I still haven't put it in yet. I have changed jobs a couple of times. I am a Mechanical Engineer with a 2 year degree in electronics. I am still trying to find a job where I don't have to do the work of 3. Some days it doesn't pay to have a wide variety of skills. I am building a garage. A big garage. In Waterloo Iowa. It needs to be big enough for a 54 ragtop, a 57 baja, a 59 Cabriolet, a 66 Cabriolet, a 69 Meyers Manx, and a 76 standard beetle. All the cars are projects (junk). The Manx is near completion. Then the Baja is next. I want to turn the 59 Cabriolet into a custom with Type 4 automatic and 2 liter engine. I have been collecting type 4 engines and pieces since I purchased the 412 engine. I go to shows and watch e-bay a lot. I probably have 10 complete engines in storage. I also have several sets of 2 liter porsche heads. I will probably build 2056's or slighty stroked motors. I will lurk until the garage is finished.
bj

Post by bj »

My name is BJ and am from hawaii. my first car was a 70 bug that my father and i built as a teenager. I am now 30 and recently got back into V
VWs after a friend of mine took me for a "spin" in his 63 vert. that's all i needed. bought a 68 ghia that i'm redoing right now. going to build a 2056 for my first build, already got one of jake's shroud kits sitting in my living room waiting for the "day.

until then i read this forum EVERYDAY for information. it's an addiction for me now.

bj
Boneloader

Post by Boneloader »

My name is Troy, and I have a '59 Baja that I picked up with a tired 103x74mm Type 4. I am building a mild 1.7L to put back in it. I found my way here from Tuna's website a few years ago, and have been lurking here ever since. It has been a wealth of knowlege for me, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say "thanks".

I'm also building a '58 Ragtop "resto rod", and hope to be able to drop one of Jake's big motors in it one day. Right now it's more of a "rusto rod"... hehe

~Troy
turboteener

Post by turboteener »

I am not sure what the Wave software cost, I am guessing it goes for somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12k per site license, I have access to it through other channels. As I haven't had time to compare it to EA, I can't make a call there. It can do things like calculate emisisions, (obiviously not to be relied on completely but...) I just want to spend sometime with it over the next few months and get a handle on it.

D Roedel you need to go down and hook up the guys at the CAl Poly FSAE team, you can learn a lot through their program. Be dedicated and it can really pay of in the long run.
Billyisgr8

Post by Billyisgr8 »

I'm Kevin, 32 years old. I have a 72 super with a 2.0 T4 soon to be turboed over christmas holiday's. I'm here everyday atleast 5 times and have learned much. I have a full on shop and like to try different things. My passion has to be... making things people say can't be done. I hope to maybe one day ( 2 years plus) have a bunch of cnc'd products available for cheap since my machines are at home and don't rquire a $100.00 shop rate.

Kevin