Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Gnasha

Re: Roll call

Post by Gnasha »

Hi, Im John 60 retired. new to aircooled although parents had beetles and fast backs waaaaaay back. Ive recently purchased a 74 ragtop KG 1600 DP. I found this site from the Samba site. Im seriosly considering a type4 2.0 exchange. I have fully restored a Triumph GT6 mkIII to concours condition.

Any questions just ask

John
oprn

Post by oprn »

Good day to all here! I am excited to be on this forum as what I have read so far seems to be quality!

I grew up in Alberta, Canada am now approaching retiring age and have always had a love for all things automotive. I have been a VW fan all my life starting with the air cooled ones and graduating to the water pumpers and now the TDI diesels. I have had too many VWs (and a couple Porsches) to list but just recently acquired a Manx copy that the wife and I plan to do some summer touring in for retirement. I had plans to keep it close to the original Manx buggy format but on finding out it was not the genuine item, that plan is now scrapped. I still want to keep it somewhat authentic though so will stick with an air cooled engine and a "simpler is always better" theme.

I am looking forward to getting up to date on the air cooled front and swapping a few lies with like minded people!

Merv
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

Hey type 4 folks! New guy here, in the process of a first time tear down, and will be venturing slowly into a rebuild. My name is Stephen (riverside66 on TheSamba). I've owned 5 VW's: Started with 3 MK2 GTI's, then a 66 bug, and now I've got a 79 bus, which has (from what I can tell) an original (seemingly low miles) 2.0L type 4 (federal), but was stripped of its FI system, and replaced with a single Weber progressive.

My grandfather instilled in me to buy the best you could, and do it right the first time, and that's what I aim to do with this motor. I've got the books: Wilson, Service Manual, Haynes, Muir.

I've got a build thread (for context, and to anyone who's interested) at: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

Problem is, I'm finding that there's a lot of opinion vs fact, and a lot of confusion concerning the Type 4, and there seems to be less and less folks with actual real world experience with it on The Samba. Where are the Type 4 gurus? I'm hoping here :)

What a long winded introduction!

Here's to hoping I'm in the right place! Thanks all!

Stephen
grimmreaper

Post by grimmreaper »

Bought a GC code type iv a number of years ago off ebay. Haven't done anything to it other than remove tin and external components.

My 1971 VW Super I got from my dad, he has owned it since 1972. I rode in the very back when I was little, behind the rear seat.

It now has had a complete pan restoration and upgrade including adjust a struts, sport springs, larger sway bars and polyurethane bushings, 4 wheel disc brakes and porsche boxster 16" wheels. Mild 1641cc type motor just lacks get up and go.

I look forward to see how a larger type IV will improve the fun of driving it.
Eric3501

Post by Eric3501 »

Hello everyone,
I am Eric Pierce am currently in Crestview, Fl. For those scratching there heads looking down the Peninsula of Florida. for it, we over here in the OTHER part of Florida, West of TALLAHASSEE...
.HAHA....ANY WAY I AM A VETERAN (U.S. Army). Planned on retiring till Clinton got booted out of Arkansas and into the Whitehouse...with the base closings also came troop reduction....Thier went retirement. Driving large cars cross country (18 wheelers), aggravated a back injury from service, went through VA, and Socialooking Security and now pretty much just exist...fought and beat the big "C" twice, colon and kidney....grew up in the desert s.with. and been around buggies a lot but never owned one till now.
I found a '77 std in pretty decent shape, except the electronics for the fuel injection was shot. Planned on a DTM type 4 for it anyway. Have the car, got the baja kit (used, at a decent price), and worked a deal out on a running type 4 that's carburated, single carb I think he said, that came out of a bus...now if these hurricanes will cooperate...I'll get it done...
Been a long time lurker with not much to add as I am too new to the aircooled side of things...
I have been doing a lot of the research part though...I have the bug me video of the Joe Cali type IV conversion as well as his upright conversion manual, Terry A. Staley type IV conversion manual, the idiot's guide to keeping my vw alive, and Bentleys service manual.
Now between funding the parts and the weather messing with my back we will see what I can come up with...thanks everyone who has made it this far for reading, and I will probably be asking lots of questions as this goes along...thanks for everyone's help so far without even knowing as I been lurking in the shadows reading and trying to learn...Will chat later, Eric
_thesatanicmechanic

Post by _thesatanicmechanic »

Hello I'm J.P. from North Carolina. I registered here a few years ago but lurked and searched mostly. Unrecoverable email address forces me to re-register. I'm a shop owner in Charlotte, servicing mostly German automobiles. Bosch mothership trained in the 90's, I enjoy long walks on the beach, beer, and spending time with my family.

Used to work at a garage that built and prepped quite a few E and F production 914s in the early to mid nineties.

Currently own a '71 914, buy am putting it on the market to fund a decent bay window bus. I have been building a stash of TypeIV parts over the years. Mostly 914 stuff, but always on the lookout for any serviceable junk. Haven't put together a typeIV in anger or pleasure for 3 years and recently had a '66 splitty handed to me to perform an upright swap into.

I'll start a build thread in the next few weeks on it. Have several 2.0 Porsche cores and quite a few sets of 1.7, 1.8, & 2.0 heads, Porsche & VW to work with.

Majama!
captain_kapow

Post by captain_kapow »

Hi there,
My name is Chris.
Currently I am building a type 4 engine for use in my 1981 Vanagon Westfalia. My objectives are simple: hold fourth on a few more hills, and build a long lasting engine. My goal is to have the motor last as long as stock.
In 2010, I restored a VW rabbit. I did paint, interior, and engine/trans work on it. It was fast and it looked good.
I had a blast in that car, but eventually I gave up the loud small and fast Rabbit for a loud, large and slow Westy.
I'm mostly here to find technical details about the Type 4 engine to help me along with my rebuild.
onwardtothestars

Post by onwardtothestars »

Howdy, I'm Ryan. I daily drive a stock '71 Karmann Ghia. I want more power. Just picked up a 2.0 Bus type 4, and most of the secondary items to do a Cali conversion. Going the 2056cc route with a cam, solid lifters, counterweighted crank and some head work. Would love EFI and ITBs, we will see how the money is flowing when it gets to that point
Andy Somogyi

Post by Andy Somogyi »

Hi,

I'm Andy

I've previously had a 71 VW Type 3 in high school in the 1990's, that was the first engine I built. Learned how to re-map the fuel curve on D-jetronic system (grandpa was an electrical engineer, uncle was German car mechanic). In college, I used to work on my uncle's German car shop, built a number of air-cooled engines.

Currently, I'm finally getting back into an air-cooled engine, I'm buying a 912e, and planning on a turbo Type4 build. I really want to stay with the Type 4 engine, as I like to be different from the 6 cylinder 911 crowd. I'd like for my turbo design to look just like a Porsche engineer might have designed it in 1976.
f1wanabe

Post by f1wanabe »

Hello Type 4rum! I am not new to aircooled VW's, my first car in high school was a 70 Transporter, then a 76 transporter. Rebuilt the 1600 in the 70 bus using the idiot book and it actually ran well! Last I purchased a 71 tin top Westy and after my wife caught the VW bug, she bought a 67 beetle. The Westy needs help in the performance department. Rather than getting my type 1 upgraded to a torquier motor, I thought I'd explore the possibility of putting a type 4 into the 71 bus. I see tin kits out there and Heard about Joe Cali's book. If anyone has done this I'd appreciate any info.
Paulvx

Post by Paulvx »

Hi folks

I'm completely new to the world of VW/ air-cooled but I plan to start a 365 speedster rep this summer not for any other reason but I like the shape.

Current thinking is torquey type 4 with about 200bhp - no idea of the exact spec but I want it running on EFI. Whilst it's tempting to just order a Raby engine (seem to have a cast iron reputation) I can't justify the outlay as I also want wishbone suspension and discs all round.

Car history - vx220 (fully forged 400bhp at the wheels - its an interesting drive but was my daily driver before I ordered an audi s5 cab. Also 1965 alfa guilia sprint gt with a fair smattering of GTA engine suspension bits.

Who should I be looking for to supply parts - who should I use in the UK to help build the engine and whats a reasonable budget for 200bhp type 4

All the best

Paul
Blue912e

Post by Blue912e »

Old guy lives in the way upper northwest. Had many aircooled German cars. Favorite was the 76 912e...4 cylinder on regular gas and a driveway tuneup all loaded in a 911 coupe. Just built (w friend..hi skill level) my T4 motor and would like to lighten car and put together another better motor....in hopes of learning from forum. I have collected a load of parts...so feel free to mess me if I can be of parts help...also have a project 912e 4 sale...
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Blue912e wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:04 pm Old guy lives in the way upper northwest. Had many aircooled German cars. Favorite was the 76 912e...4 cylinder on regular gas and a driveway tuneup all loaded in a 911 coupe. Just built (w friend..hi skill level) my T4 motor and would like to lighten car and put together another better motor....in hopes of learning from forum. I have collected a load of parts...so feel free to mess me if I can be of parts help...also have a project 912e 4 sale...
How far Northwest Blue???

I'm about as far into that corner as you can get.
5 miles south of the border and 11 miles east of the water.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
MerlinTech

Post by MerlinTech »

I am a 54 year old Ferrari tech from Georgia. I bought a rail buggy four years ago with a Type 4 2.0 Bus engine. I have extensively over hauled the entire car, except the engine. It is a stock hydraulic cam engine with dual 34 Webers and custom stepped split headers. I am currently running various configuration on my Dynomation 6 software and trying to find a good combination for street driving and decent HP & Torque. I have been building engines since age 12 and have formal training in all facets of engine machine work. I have owned my own business building small single cylinder race engines and I look forward to learning about this wonderful Type 4 platform. I am glad to have found this forum and look forward to learning.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Welcome aboard!