Type 4 in a Crewcab questions

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Hookerpat

Type 4 in a Crewcab questions

Post by Hookerpat »

I currently have a '71 Crewcab thats in the bodyshop. The previous owner had installed a 2.0 ltr, type 4 with stock cooling and dual 40IDF Webers. The cam is a Scat cam with 490 lift and 275 duration, not sure what the stock cam specs are. It came with a nasty looking homemade dual quiet pack muffler that I plan to chuck. I put about 3 or 4k on this truck since engine rebuild before I stripped it down for a resto and it ran at 65 -70 MPH all day long (in Southern AL. and Central TX during the summer) with no problems and got around 16 -17 MPG. Also the engine bay area has already been hacked up for the T4. My questions are: is this the optimal carb setup for this type of engine? would the engine benefit more from another type of cooling system or is the stock style sufficient? any way to get better gas mileage? any recommendations on a good exhaust setup? The vehicle will be driven daily in traffic in the Dallas, TX area. All opinions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks. Pat
ShApE

Post by ShApE »

ur crewcab green and black?
tuna

Re: Type 4 in a Crewcab questions

Post by tuna »

Hookerpat wrote:I currently have a '71 Crewcab thats in the bodyshop. The previous owner had installed a 2.0 ltr, type 4 with stock cooling and dual 40IDF Webers. The cam is a Scat cam with 490 lift and 275 duration, not sure what the stock cam specs are. It came with a nasty looking homemade dual quiet pack muffler that I plan to chuck. I put about 3 or 4k on this truck since engine rebuild before I stripped it down for a resto and it ran at 65 -70 MPH all day long (in Southern AL. and Central TX during the summer) with no problems and got around 16 -17 MPG. Also the engine bay area has already been hacked up for the T4. My questions are: is this the optimal carb setup for this type of engine?
Without hearing the rest of your specs, like valve sizes, ignition, etc., it's hard to say for sure, but if you put on 3-4000 trouble free miles, and it ran cool, then it sounds like the carbs are well suited to the engine.
Hookerpat wrote: would the engine benefit more from another type of cooling system or is the stock style sufficient?
If you find the engine is running hot, then purchasing a DTM upright conversion from massivetype4.com might be in order, but what you have is essentially is a later model Bus that came with a 2.0. If driven appropriately and well maintained, they can last for 100K+ miles.
Hookerpat wrote:any way to get better gas mileage?
My suggestion is ditch the camshaft. 0.490" is a lot of lift. It sounds like you have a Scat C25. Get something with 0.050"-0.100" less lift and about the same duration.
Hookerpat wrote:any recommendations on a good exhaust setup?
Don't try to cheap out on the exhaust.... spend the money the first time and you'll happy. In my opinion, the best Bus exhaust on the market right now is from BAS Ahnnendorp. They list it for the CU/CJ engines, but I'm pretty sure you could use it on your engine.
http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/
Type 4: Secrets Revealed - https://type4secrets.blogspot.com/
Tom's Type 4 Corner - coming soon!
EMPI Imp Homepage - coming soon!
My VWs - http://vdubgeek.blogspot.com/p/my-vdubs_5.html
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Pat in addition to the excellent advise given to you by Tuna I would also suggest a change in gearing to improve your milage.
The 71 t-2 R&P ratio was 5.37:1. With the 2.0L engines VW sent the T-2 cars here with a 4.57:1 R&P. If you will swap to a six rib 091 transaxle you will be working the engine less at all RPM levels. You have plenty of power to pull these gears. This trans will be found in all 76 and later 2.0L equipped transporters. Good luck. Bob Ingman
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9702/transtalk.html
Hookerpat

Thanks!

Post by Hookerpat »

Thanks everybody for the excellent advice and opinions, you've all revalidated why I like this site so much. I've learned alot. As far as valve sizes- not sure. Has Bosch 009 distributor and besides that, carbs and cam everything else is stock. Bob, sorry I forgot to mention that I am running a 6 rib 091 tranny. Glad to hear that its recommended. ShApE, my crewcab has been undriveable since summer of 2000 and its color is a metallic s@#t brown (soon to change though). But Im hoping to get it back on the road this spring so maybe you'll see me around at some of the local shows. Thanks again, Pat