Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
radavidson
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by radavidson »

Can anyone tell me what cam this is and can it be used on a 914. The part number is 021 109 111C my stock 2.0 cam number is the same accept the last digit, mine has a B on the end of it.

Randy


__________________
Tom Perso
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2000 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by Tom Perso »

Randy,

Like we discussed on the phone, I believe that is the cam gear part number, not the actual cam itself.

Aluminium cam gears usually end in "C" whereas the Magnesium cam gears end in "B".

Stick with the AL gears only, just ask Shad Laws about magnesium cam gears. Not good results.

Later,
Tom
Billyisgr8

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by Billyisgr8 »

The "C" prefix has been also used for magnesium gears to, you can only tell by the look of the metal. This is what Jake told me since I also thought "C" meant aluminum.

Kevin
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yes, not all "C" gears are aluminum...
Tom Perso
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2000 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by Tom Perso »

Wow! No kidding, I only thought the C gears were AL. Sorry about the misinformation.

Randy, I know for a fact that both of those cams have the AL gear, so you should be set.

Later,
Tom
94teener
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by 94teener »

Randy,
If you are concerned about the cam shaft, itself, then the best stock shaft is the one that comes from the early 1.7L cars. It can be indentified by having a circle cast on one side of the shaft next to the center bearing surface. If it has only a half circle or if there are two full circles, one on each side of the center bearing, you don't want it. The full circle type is the fastest cam of all. It has a total inlet-opening angle of 234 degrees. I got this info from the TUNACAN site of Tom Slider's.
Also, however, Dimitri Elgin (Elgin Cams) told me that if a 914 cam has the full ring around it has a duration of 254 degrees at the end of the clearance ramp which is about 0.018 inches tall. The lobe centers on this cam are 107.5 degrees and the lobe lifts are 0.296 (intake) and 0.282 (exhaust).
Phil
User avatar
raygreenwood
Posts: 11914
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by raygreenwood »

Actually, there were two cams....but the late cam was the only cam that came to this continent in 411/412. The differences in lift and duration were slight. The differences that were important were that the early one...which ceased to be used in 1970, was a carb cam. The late one was fuel injected cam. The main differences were in intake valve opening points for the D-jet. Since it had no detriment to carbs, the 411/412 carbed versions were able to use this also. The FI cam also went into the 1.7,1.8 and 2.0 914. Same cam.
The differences in the early and late in timing were:
Early:
Intake opens: 4 BTDC
Intake closes: 39 ABDC
exhaust opens: 40 BBDC
exhaust closes: 3 ATDC
Late:
Intake opens: 12 BTDC
Intake closes: 42 ABDC
Exhaust opens: 43 BBDC
Exhasut closes: 4 ATDC
The bus....I'm not sure what cam it used, but since this cam runs carbs as well as FI...I would bet its the same.By the way...the web #73 runs #'s of:
IO: 4 BTDC
IC: 40 ABDC
EO: 40 BBDC
EC: 4 ATDC Its nearly identical to the early cam. Its close enough, but it sacrificedsome of the valve open injection window for slightly better lift (485 I think) and 262 duration. On FI on the type 4...more duration is more important than huge lift. Ray
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by Dave_Darling »

Randy, the factory 914 parts book doesn't show any parts with XXX.109.111 part numbers, letter suffix or no.

You should probably just get a Web-Cam anyway, right? Image

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
radavidson
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:01 am

Stock Type IV Cam P/N Question

Post by radavidson »

Too late! I just torqued the cam into the short block last night! The lobes speced out the same, this is an experiment for a 914 Turbo setup, I have the turbo setup and want to see how the stock cam runs, I've heard from other Turbo types that the stcok cam runs fine, I know all the horror stories about cam/lifter incompatabilities, but I'm not running a hi-po cam. The cam was brand new and free! I did buy new stock lifters. If it all goes to hell in a hand basket I'll fix it. My whole intent is to dial the Turbo in this summer, I would prfer to have the least complicated motor I could to start with, it elimenates a lot of doubt if it does not run right. I plan on tearing it down over next winter and inspecting then rebuilding with a split duration cam as Jake has recommended. The motor is a 2056 based on a stock 914 2.0.

Randy
Post Reply