Windage Tray

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Paul Illick

Windage Tray

Post by Paul Illick »

I'm now assembling the parts for a T4 motor that will be autocrossed. These motors are used in 914 solo cars, so I assume there have been windage trays developed for them. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help.

Paul Illick
VW911

Windage Tray

Post by VW911 »

The 1.8 914 motors came with them
Dave_Darling

Windage Tray

Post by Dave_Darling »

Quite a few of the 1.7s came with them as well. I'm not sure of the exact engine case where they were added, but any original 914 engine other than the "W" code ones should have it.

The windage tray, by itself, is not enough to keep the oil light off in a 914. It's a scary thing to have your oil light come on in the middle of a sweeper--BTDT.

I installed the Weltmeister Oil Trap and have not had a problem since. Well, except for the time I went "ramping" and did four on- and off-ramps in a row.... The light came on near the end of the fourth one.

The trap sticks down about an inch and a half, maybe two inches. It isn't as far as the bottom of the side-shifter's engine mount bar. I haven't had a problem with it hitting on anything, yet.

It is available from a number of sources for around $50. (Blatant plug time-->) Pelican Parts sells it for just under $48.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/sho ... htm#item14 (End of blatant plug.)

--DD
Fritz K.

Windage Tray

Post by Fritz K. »

The 1.8 914 motors came with them[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, all 411/914 starting from model year 72 had the windage tray as factory equipment.

a retrofit in earlier engine cases is not possible, as the casting was changed.

i have no info concerning the bus engine cases. but later on in the ´80 VW produced "universal" type 4 cases that have provisions for the tray.

i hope that helps.......

Fritz
1968 type 3 with 1,8L type 4