JS Safeguard- Knock retard system

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Sidewalk

Post by Sidewalk »

From a neutral standpoint, I see a mix matched thing going on here. Could it be that the question is:

How much can it retard the ignition before either it can not jump the gap to the rotor, or it jumps the gap to the next plug?

------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"
But are you gutless?

Sarcasm is one service we offer. Complaint Department
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Like John said, that does not matter anyway... unless someone has no idea how to index a distributor it will never be an issue.

I have used it, so has John, has anyone else that is providing content here?

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
turbo6bar

Post by turbo6bar »

Here's a thread from an MR-2 forum. Guy from J&S makes some comments.

J&S discussion
JohnConnolly

Post by JohnConnolly »

My point is that it doesn't matter how it's triggerred. What matters is where the rotor is WRT the cap when the spark has to jump the rotor/cap gap. It doesn't matter if it's getting triggerred by me beating a drum in the passenger seat!

If the spark it triggerred at 70 degrees BTDC, and we delay the spark by 40 degrees, the spark hits the gap at 30 degrees BTDC, which is fine.

Jake set his up for 50 degrees max advance so he could map the optimum ignition curve, since the Safeguard results in the optimum timing. Because it works so well, you don't nickle and dime the timing, you set it for WAY more timing then you need, and let the Safeguard remove what it has to to result in the "proper" timing. Then, you just record how much it's removing, and adjust your ignition curve. On my car, I don't bother with recurving, I let the Safeguard do everything for me (what good is having it if I ain't using it). The biggest advantage is that it INDIVIDUALLY RETARDS SPARK. THIS is where a major increase in power comes from. Each cylinder is retarded a different amount, only as much as necessary. Why retard all 4 cylinders if only 1 needs the retard, this is a recipe for lost power!

The HP gains by using this device are so big most people would think it was sales hype and BS, I've seen 1.1 sec reduction in 1/4 mile times JUST by adding this device and re-adjusting the timing. Imagine a car running 12.4s, then adding the safeguard, then running 11.70s next pass! A lot of guys aren't buying this because they think it's BS, but our money back (100%) guarantee is there to back up our claims.

Also, it may "seem" expensive, but look at it another way. It IS expensive if your car runs 17s or 18s. However, to drop 1/2 second for $600 is CHEAP if your car is in the 12/13 sec area! I don't know of any other product which will return this much, and that installs so easily (5 wires).
John
Aircooled.Net inc.

[This message has been edited by JohnConnolly (edited 07-09-2002).]
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The safeguard took me from a mid 14 pass to a 13.91 just by being installed, same day, same track same shift points and same fuel..

I installed it and jacked the timing way up, the safeguard did all the rest!

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com