Oil weight and how much

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
jdmar

Oil weight and how much

Post by jdmar »

Going to fire up my engine today and need to know what weight of Oil and how much. I am running and external cooler and oil filter. Thanks
Bobby74

Oil weight and how much

Post by Bobby74 »

I would run straight 30WT conventional, as normal. As far as quanitity; add oil to full mark, let it drain into the lines and cooler for about 10-15 mins, check + add again. Repeat if nessesary. This should let all the air bubbles raise to the top and avoid over filling. When cranking leave the coil wire off and build pressure for 15-20 seconds or so before firing, can't spin the pump like a watercooler.
Dave_Darling

Oil weight and how much

Post by Dave_Darling »

Most of the 914 folks I know use 20/50 weight oil. Some run synthetic, most run conventional oils.

Stock oil quantity is about 3.5 quarts when changing oil and changing the filter. You might need more in a "dry" engine--you will need more with the cooler and lines. How much more is a good question. It depends on how large the lines are, how long they are, what size cooler, etc.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Oil weight and how much

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

John,
With my mods to your kit you need to use Castrol or Kendall 20w/50 for break in and summer driving......I would estimate 6 quarts for your system.

Call me befor you fire it up for some last minute tips..