OK... gotta ask this question on a tIV shroud

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Dave Avery

Post by Dave Avery »

Guys,

Sorry for the cross posts, but I need to ask some questions on 911 shrouds.

The FAT shroud requires very little machining (light grinding, drilling & tapping) to the engine case (as opposed to the Sharpbuilt, which I believe the machining is great). It's also very inexpensive! I was wondering if anyone had this shroud on their car.

Here is the pic:

Anyone know of any others that would require minimal machining? I am also nervous on the height of the shroud as well.

Thanks!

-DMA

[This message has been edited by Dave Avery (edited 12-19-2000).]
turbo6bar

Post by turbo6bar »

I have the FAT shroud on my car. Installtion is straightforward. There is no need for any case mods, at least not that I found. The only work you need to do is get the spark plug holes made for the correct spark plug orientation (1.7/1.8 vs. 2.0 L). I used a plain hole saw, and it came out very well. I do need to put some straps on my setup to help keep the shroud down on the engine, but otherwise, not a problem. Right now, I'm having a problem with the darn thing overcooling my engine. I can't get head temps above 200 in winter or 250 in summer. I am going to put a 5-bladed fan on there. It revs so much easier with the 5-bladed fan, as opposed to the 11-blade fan on there now.

Jay
Dave Avery

Post by Dave Avery »

Thanks for the fast reply... why isn't this the kit of choice then? Is it cosmetically much different than the other shrouds? Is it too tall for most installs?

This seems like a really cheap option, considering all I have to buy is a fan, alt and ring, and $360 to FAT, and I'm all set.

-DMA
Paul Illick

Post by Paul Illick »

Check the height, Dave. The fan ring isn't going to get any shorter, and if you don't sit the fan down by the 41mm that you cut out of the case it means the overall engine height will be that much taller. FAT is mostly offroad, so they're not as concerned about overall engine height as manufacturers are who supply mostly street cars. You were nervous about the height anyway, so give FAT a call, get the crank center to top-of-shroud dimension to make sure it'll fit.
Dave Avery

Post by Dave Avery »

Fat quoted 17.5" crank center to top. This may not be a problem, as the engine mounts are being build as we speak. 41mm is really just 1 3/4", so I'm sure that won't kill me.

BTW, is the milling of the case something I could do with a die grinder, or something I'd have to send the motor out for? Does it weaken or destabilize the case?

Also, anyone know the height of the DTM shroud, from crank center?

-DMA
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here is the problem.....

if you go for a fan that does not require machining of the case you will have to make a cut to the engine lid because of the height of the shroud. It will be worse if you have an early engine lid.
There was one company in Germany that had a shroud setup that did not require a cut to the lid and no machining of the case was involved. The company is calles Wilke and they used a specail pulley that was closer to the case. If you install the engine into a buggy there should be no problem but in a bug...........be carefull.

Alex
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Ups.....I am talking Porsche shroud.
I have never seen the DTM shourd but it should be just like the stock T1 shroud that sits in the back. So you should not have any clearence problems with it.

Alex
Dave Avery

Post by Dave Avery »

oops... I should add that this is a Beck 550 Spyder, not a bug... sorry!

-DMA
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I guess you would not have fitment problems then. So why not go for the cheaper version.
If height is not a problem why get the case machined. It looks good in the pic.

Alex
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Dave, the DTM is 17.5 inches at its highest
point above the crankshaft center and the
air intake on the shroud will be facing the
air intake grille on the 550.
If you need the measurements on the DTM,
click on the "DTM SPEC INFO" in our site:
http://www.spiretech.com/~opshroud
You can make a quick visual with a 911 kit by checking the distance between the top of
the crank pulley and the bottom of the fan
ring. If they almost intersect, then it will
clear a Type 1 deck lid (17"). The FAT kit
and engine in the picture is for off road cars.
Machining the case:
If the fan ring is to sit directly on the
engine case, the case must be stripped,
bolted together and placed on a suitable
mill to cut the same radius as the fan ring.
A 41-42mm cut will bring the case down to
get the clearance needed.
If you have your 550 now, use the input
shaft of your transaxle as a datum to
determine the clearances as it is also the
crankshaft center.
Joe
turbo6bar

Post by turbo6bar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph:
<B>Machining the case:
If the fan ring is to sit directly on the
engine case, the case must be stripped,
bolted together and placed on a suitable
mill to cut the same radius as the fan ring.
A 41-42mm cut will bring the case down to
get the clearance needed.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The FAT setup includes a mounting plate which eliminates the work you mention above. It is flat and has a recess to fit into the case tower and the top of the plate is cast to fit the fan housing perfectly. The only work you need to do is cut your spark plug holes in the shroud and drill two holes in the case tower for the studs which fasten the bands which fasten the fan to the case. If you don't have the room, Dave, then the FAT shroud is not for you. My 912E works fine with this, but if I install A/C back in the car, this fan will interfere with my a/c condensor. I think your spyder should have the room, but you do the measurements.

Regards,
Jay
Dave Avery

Post by Dave Avery »

Thanks guys

The only problem I forsee with the Oregon Performance shroud is that it n a Spyder, the shroud is presented backward. I think the front part of the shroud( the part shown in a rear engine car) is attractive, almost 4-cam-ish.

I saw a picture of the transmission side (the side normally presented to the firewall) and it's not too pretty... Anyone have a nice shot of the back of one of these, so I can see how it would look when used in a midengined configuration?

I really cannot machine my engine now, so if I can fit the FAT, I'll probably go that route.

Thanks again for all of the help!

-DMA