I want to build a 3 liter.....

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
danielzink

Post by danielzink »

Wow,
pretty strong stuff 'eh ?
Well - I took my bug for the last drive of the season today ( snowing here in Michigan )and I had an epiphany. I don't like the 2110 anymore. Now granted - I've only put about a thousand miles on the thing in the past 2 summers - but after driving the 2.3 type4 motor in my notch around...well... I'm craving something more.
So - I need the collected wisdom of this group. I've never really seen a "3.0 type4 build up" in any of the popular rags so I need your help.
Recommendations ?
I need suggestions like - chevy journals ? - stock type1 journals ? - type4 journals ?// type4 rods ? type1 rods - pinto rods ?( that's a joke btw )// 5 stud ? 6 stud ? // what will work ? - what cams will work ? with a motor of this size I'm sure that case/cams etc. will have to be clearanced. I have lots of cases to chose from ( 10 or 11 )// I'm going to keep the CB fuel injection and the MSD dizzy and 6AL box. Maybe an OPP shroud ? Knuf ?- I don't know - help me.
Give your idea of an "ultimate" motor.
This is going to be a mild street motor. I don't take my cars to the strip but I do drive them in a "spirited" manner on the street. Maybe 9.1 cr ? a little lower?/higher? I only run 92 octane in my cars anyway.
downside to this is that now I've got this 2110 for sale plus the 1776 that was in the notch for about 500 miles...My wife's gonna strangle me.....

Dan
[email protected] http://users.aol.com/my65notch/index.htm
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

I don't really have any good ideas for you on the three-liter. However, on the compression ratio, I should say that a 9.1:1 or 9.2:1 compression 2.6L that I know of does ping on 92. At least, according to the owner it does.

I suggest staying under 9:1, particularly with such a large and expensive motor. Maybe even as low as 8.5:1.

--DD
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I would run 8:1 c/r.
Fitting an 82mm crank into the case is tricky. Chevy journals. Buy a Scat 84mm 4340 crank. Web Cam makes clearanced small base circle cams. Rod clearancing should be minimal with the clearanced cam, but opt for low profile Carrillo, 5.5" length. 22mm pins.
I would stick to 103 p/cs. The 105 are thin walled 103s, same head and case hole size. 84x103 could be built to live on the street, with 5.5" rods it should still fit in most engine compartments.
Buy a nice set of 48x40 6 stud heads from Power Tuning Parts.
I am going to run the new German 39 gram lifters, they are trick!!

Steve Arndt
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

I would stay at 80x103, the extra stroke isn't worth the cam clearance hassle unless you're racing, or maybe bragging rights about size (kinda a guy thing?). An 80 with chevy x T1 journals is just about a drop-in when using Carrillo type rods. Speaking of rods, I would go with 5.325 length w/22mm pins. T4 engines were designed as a short rod ratio motor and it does add bottom end, as if a motor of this size would lack bottom-end. Longer rods narrow the power band and moves it up, you're not a racer so build it for street use (the rpm range where the engine will run 99.9%). I wouldn't go real radical on cams, FAT, WEB, Eurorace, and Power Tuning are some of the pros on T4s(but you know that!).

BTW, this is for your T1, we presume.

Also, what are your thoughts on exhaust on your Notch? I see you are contemplating a change. Please email me on that one, I am just starting on mine. Maybe we should talk about this? I got a couple of ideas and would like to discuss them with you, your insights would be appreciated now that you have your car done and have driven it.

Just my two cents, taken before the discount.

[This message has been edited by Tom Notch (edited 10-09-2000).]
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dan, How much are you selling the 1776 for??
danielzink

Post by danielzink »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan:
Dan, How much are you selling the 1776 for??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll post the specs and prices of both motors in the type1 parts for sale section.

Dan
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Can you fit the Subaru conversion? It is very tight in a bug, I hear, but a Ghia...?
http://www.cnr.colostate.edu/~kevinlh/t ... subaru.htm

I think it may be better. 95 mph up hill at high altitude (85% ambient air pressure) with 2/3 of the pedal...and a heater!

Avid