Deutz Sleeves

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
DaveDorson

Deutz Sleeves

Post by DaveDorson »

I've found some reference to these being used. I was bench racing with a friend earlier and we were talking about short stroke big bore engines.

I mentioned that a friend is rebuilding a Deutz FL912 aircooled engine at the moment, and he's got some sleeves sitting around.

My understanding is that they need to be trimmed to length to fit, and bored to 101.6 (4") but I can't find any further details about these modifciations. Is it just a case of cutting the case end down, or does the cylinder head side need some trimming and turning also?

What piston's are folks using?, there'a reference on a South African forum to people using iron duke pistons, but I assume these are HUGELY heavy sort of negating the benefit of the 66mm crank.
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: Deutz Sleeves

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Here's a link to that exact same subject with plenty of info: Deutz 912 Cylinders
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
DaveDorson

Post by DaveDorson »

Type 4 Unleashed wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:50 am Here's a link to that exact same subject with plenty of info: Deutz 912 Cylinders

Cheers.

I'd read through that, but I can't see clear answers as to where you need to remove material from.

I'm assuming it's all from the end that the case sits in.

Also doesn't really answer my questions about pistons.

Unless of course I missed that.

I'm happy to have a go and figure it out, but I'd really need a spare engine to do so, as it's not like you can un-cut heads and a case.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

If youre on FaceBook search for GetBackonTrack:Jacob has quite a few pictures on his gallery.
wreck

Post by wreck »

P8061051.JPG
Deutz cylinders .jpg
the cylinders get shortened from the case end by a lot . I used a small chisel to break off the fins then a flapper disc on a grinder to smooth the surface to make it easier for the guy with the lather to shorten them and machine to the same specs as a type 4 barrel . Work out which crank/rods you want to use and then see what Small block V8 pistons you can find that are close in gudgeon pin height . Then get the cylinders bored to match the pistons and final machine to exactly to the right length to suit your required deck height .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
DaveDorson

Post by DaveDorson »

Thanks all for the replies.

I've had a chat with a friend of mine with some massive old manual machine tools, it looks like I've got free access to what I need there, so now I just need to find some cylinders and suitable pistons.

I've got a junk (seized up from standing 1.7 motor that I think I can use as a cylinder head, crank and case donor. All being well this will form the basis of a 66x100+ motor.

Bit of a foray into the unknown this. Wish me luck.