Builder Type4 engine for 912e

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Andy Somogyi

Builder Type4 engine for 912e

Post by Andy Somogyi »

Hi All,

I'm looking for a builder engine that will eventually go into my 912e. I will be installing new crank, heads, etc (78mm crank, 96mm pistons), but I'd like to have it complete with the fan shroud so I have to transfer a minimum amount of stuff from my existing engine. This will be a turbo engine, so I'm looking for a strong case, and I'm not really sure of the T4 case differences.

So, which Type4 should I be looking for that has the dipstick and all the components in the right spot?

I know the 2.0 914 is the exact same engine, but would a 1.7 or 1.8 914 work also, considering I'll be installing new crank, cylinders, pistons, etc..

thanks
falcor

Re: Builder Type4 engine for 912e

Post by falcor »

The case is the same so a 1.7 will work fine. I used a 1.7 914 Engine as the base for my 2258 cc type 4.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Location? its easier to update your profile rather than make people guess.
Cases from cars like the 411/412 tend to to be top fed dipsticks and anyone competent enough to add a oil feed for a turbo could manage a dipstick retrofit. The cases are all the same enough it is more of what you have/can find.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Andy Somogyi

Post by Andy Somogyi »

sideshow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 am Location? its easier to update your profile rather than make people guess.
Cases from cars like the 411/412 tend to to be top fed dipsticks and anyone competent enough to add a oil feed for a turbo could manage a dipstick retrofit. The cases are all the same enough it is more of what you have/can find.
I'm in US, Southern Indiana.

Looks like I've found a 1.7 out of 914 fairly local.

I was mainly concerned that the 1.7 is a weaker case, wouldn't accept the 96mm cylinders or the longer crank.

Does the 1.7 also have the same windage tray as the 2.0?
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Weaker? In what way? The case holes are the same for all three, the bore is smaller but that is limited to the head. Windage trays I don't know I think they were only common'ish on the early ones, most don't run them.

Like him or not, this is probably the most impressive turn key 912e shop around http://aircooledtechnology.com/about-us/ south of you.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Andy Somogyi

Post by Andy Somogyi »

I was thinking that certain T4 cases might have thinner castings or smaller bores / oil passages / ribbing and would be ones to avoid.

I did find out that the early W code 1.7 cases don’t have windage trays and don’t have a boss to attach a windage tray, but the later EA and EB 1.7 do have windage trays. Bus cases do not have windage trays, so it’s important to get a EA or EB code 914 1.7 engine.

Also the 1.7 has solid lifters and a different oil passages.

I did read Jake Raby’s notes and he seems to be a fan of the 1.7 case.

I think I found a 1.7 914 builder engine locally, seller is now checking on the engine code, and it’s relatively cheap, so I think that’s the direction I’ll go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro