I Need Feedback On A Product I'll Be Producing

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
cal 67

I Need Feedback On A Product I'll Be Producing

Post by cal 67 »

I've been working on a run of economy chamber volume measuring tools and deck height measuring tools for the Type 4 crowd. The chamber tools consist of standard plexiglass plates in the 90mm, 93-96mm, and 103-106.5mm bore sizes, and a plastic 50cc syringe. The deck height tool is a solid 1" surface plate-flattened steel bar with a 2" travel dial indicator installed in the center. It uses a set screw to hold the indicator in-place. The kit will include the appropriate standoffs to compensate for the stud protrusion. My price point at this time for the entire kit is around $70.

How do you think the community will respond to these tools?

Is this a real problem for home builders without access to machinery?

Would this be perceived as a luxury item, or a necessary tool?

Are there any features that I should incorporate into these kits?

What are non-machinists currently using?

I'd love to read any concerns and/or responses. Thanks all!
Clatter

Re: I Need Feedback On A Product I'll Be Producing

Post by Clatter »

Hi,

A couple of thoughts, FWIW..

I already have an indicator, and they are available cheaply. Most do.
Some even use feeler blades..

1" is pretty thick. Those type 1 ones are 1/2" IIRC?

A luxury item, yes..

Even so, I'll buy one! :-)
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
cgates30

Post by cgates30 »

I created my own tools when rebuilding my engine, but everything was kind of "put together" as needed. With that said, a kit would be nice.
cal 67

Post by cal 67 »

Thanks guys. I'd love to read more replies.

Regarding your comment Clatter, I purchased a Type 1 deck height kit years back; the common 4-stud plate with the cutout and set screw for ballpark measurements. When I would run my feelers around the bore, the areas fathest away from the center would always be tighter than the middle. That 1/2" steel plate was actually flexing when I would torque-down the four head nuts to spec.

So I use a two bolt steel bar instead. No more issues. The dial indicator is just an economy Chinese one; good enough within less than a thou. It also serves as a tool to check timing mark accuracy.
patto

Post by patto »

For $70 i'd buy a kit for sure, great to see some type 4 specific tools coming out.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

A tool I would buy for type 4 engine rebuilds is something that holds a pair of cylinders down at the same time so that I can put a straight edge across the cylinder sealing edge to see if the cylinders are sitting at the exact same height.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Put me down for one.

Email me at:

JHunt

AT

ConleyTelco.Com

I'm sure you can figure that email out. I did it that way to reduce spam-bots finding it.