EMPI Single carb on Type 2 2.0L, with dual vacum distributor

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Hummel

EMPI Single carb on Type 2 2.0L, with dual vacum distributor

Post by Hummel »

Hey Guys,

First of all, I read alot of topics about this carb setup and the opinions is either very bad or very good. I don't need to hear I can't get it to run, or I need dual carbs, cause that is not an option.

I want to get information about some things to better understand why it is so hard to get to run properly. Hope I came to the right place?

First a little information about the car:

Crossover Bay
2.0L engine, rebuild a couple of years ago and run with stock dual solex carb in very bad shape, bun ran ok.
dual advance distributor (SVDA?).

Now fitted a brand new EMPI single carb kit from Justkampers.com,

https://www.justkampers.com/43-0670-0-w ... -1983.html

First lets discuss the ignition part. It ran with the SVDA and electronic ignition. I fitted a vacum port on one of the solex under the butterfly, so it would have vacuum in idle, this one i attached to the vacuum port on the SVDA pointing towards the distributor, the other one was mounted on the carburator original vacuum port.

Now with the EMPI register carburator there is only one vacuum port (making vacuum when the throttle is opened). It read that the original Weber carburator had two vacuum port, I guess that would be for the SVDA distributor? Can anyone tell me where to make the second vacuum port on my EMPI register carb ? ??

When I have sorted out the ignition, I will look into some more heat for the intake, since I can understand that also an Issue.

Any constructive comments are welcome...
oprn

Re: EMPI Single carb on Type 2 2.0L, with dual vacum distributor

Post by oprn »

I'm not real sure why you would want to hook up the vacuum retard side of the advance pot. Is it an issue of making the car legal for the road in your jurisdiction? I personally leave that port unused on the distributor and re-time with just the mechanical advance and the part throttle vacuum side of the pot.
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

No issue making the car legal. But I thought the retard function was important with a DVDA distributor?

If i try not to connect the retard function, how to I then adjust the ignition ? 7,5 BTDC at idle ? And 32 BTDC at 3000 RPM ?
oprn

Post by oprn »

You got it! The top figure is the most important one. Depending on what your engine build is anywhere from 28 to 34 is possible. Let the low end fall where it may for now and find your best top value first. I have had engines that idle well anywhere from 5* BTDC to 14* BTDC. Those that are timed ATDC with the vacuum retard working I find tend to be sluggish off the bottom with flat spots.