T4 Tear Down / Rebuild in Jax FL

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
analogtherapy

Re: T4 Tear Down / Rebuild in Jax FL

Post by analogtherapy »

While waiting for the wideband to be completed, I decided to just gamble on a larger set of air jets and bit the bullet on a set of 200's (was using 175's).

For my idle jet, I tried going back to 50's (was currently using 60's), but the engine just hated them. So I divided the difference, and tried 55's.

I've been driving this combination now (55 idle, 120 main, 200 air, F11 emulsion) for almost a week and it's way better than it was.

This set up has almost completely eliminated the "flat spot". It's still there, but I can only tell if I really feel for it. The bus is running nicely, and leaner. No more cleaning off the soot spot from the back bumper. I haven't filled up again yet, so I don't yet know what my MPG is, but I've already noticed a visual difference in how far the fuel needle has traveled since changing the jets (more accurately, how far the needle has not traveled).

The wideband will still be useful in knowing exactly where things are, but things are running much nicer now that the larger air jet is in.
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

Just filled it up. First MPG avg (with the new jetting) is 13.7
bajaman73

Post by bajaman73 »

Awsome thread man. Thanks. Took me 2 days to read (all at work of course... BOTH threads. This one and TOS)
I learned a TON of info. Getting parts together now for my own build.
1968 Ghia - Street Cruiser - 1600SP
1971 Ghia - Street/Strip - 1915 Dual IDF
1959 Ghia - Drag Only - 1915 Turbo
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

Right on! Glad to be of service!

Good luck with your build. Be sure to create a thread for it if you haven't already, I'd like to follow along. If you have any questions, hit me up. I only know what I've experienced, but I'm happy to share.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Did you ever put a wideband on?

14MPG is really pretty low,
Unless you are maybe doing some in-town romping around..

Even a heavy camper should be able to get up close to 20MPG on the highway under most normal circumstances,
Unless it's loaded to the gills, pulling a headwind/hill, etc.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

Yea, that's an old number. I did hook up a wideband, and my best number was 17 mpg....but then I went and moved, and now I'm 3000 ft above sea level when I used to be AT sea level, so I'm back to running rich. I got a new wideband (LM-2), as the one I was using previously was Lo Cash John's, but haven't had the time to hook it up just yet. Moving kind of turns everything upside down for a while...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It may want a bit more timing at 3K feet, and in general.
Programmable ignition is very good to have if you can go there.

A well built stockish engine in a Bay should pull 22ish mpg at cruise, bit less for a westy or in hills etc.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:15 pm It may want a bit more timing at 3K feet, and in general.
Programmable ignition is very good to have if you can go there.
I gotta say, I'm not familiar at all with programmable ignition. Can you recommend any setups?
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

I can get you a deal on a CB MagnaSpark Digital kit.

Text me for more info.
bajaman73

Post by bajaman73 »

I have a CB Black Box... Have yet to install it though.
1968 Ghia - Street Cruiser - 1600SP
1971 Ghia - Street/Strip - 1915 Dual IDF
1959 Ghia - Drag Only - 1915 Turbo
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

Lo Cash John wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:25 pm I can get you a deal on a CB MagnaSpark Digital kit.

Text me for more info.
Hey John, I looked over the CB kit, but if it's the one that comes with a new distributor they state that it won't fit a type 4 unless modifications are made to the tin (which I don't want to do). :(
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

bajaman73 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:36 pm I have a CB Black Box... Have yet to install it though.
Nice, I did see that on CB's site as well. Let me know what you think once you have a chance to use it, and what kind of setup you're using it with.