more mystery parts

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
ProctorSilex

more mystery parts

Post by ProctorSilex »

The first part is not so mysterious. It has SME 00.19.15 on the cap and looks like a diagnostic Hall Effect timing tool (French forum posts confirm). I think mine has three pins just like le sensor en francais. I am happy enough with the identification, but what of its usefulness? Should I just tear it off and throw it away? Is it worth saving? If so, how can it be removed without damage?

The second part is a bit of tin in the shape of an L that is no longer than a short finger wrapped around the oil fill tower. It is right in the center of the image hanging off a short M6 stud in the tower. I did not see it until I started separating the case halves. It is a real head scratcher as I do not recall anything attached to it when I got the engine. Of course, that was a long time ago, the oil fill cover was already missing, and I was mostly concerned with the eerie water sloshing sounds within.

The third part was on the same engine, but I cannot find any pictures. It looks like an idler pulley. It mounted on the left near the oil filter and would have worked with a pulley inline with the fan. Memory tells me that the AC pulley from behind the fan was on a different engine, but memory is a known liar and I have not found any pictures proving otherwise. I presume it is for AC. It was mounted in an interesting way using threaded hex rods to case studs. I could get a picture if anyone is interested.

Gallery of all images (larger sizes available)
raygreenwood

Re: more mystery parts

Post by raygreenwood »

#1....correct. diagnostic hall sensor. It should tap out from the flywheel side if memory serves.

#2 is the bracket for the thermo time switch from the fuel injection. It controlled the cold start jet.

#3 yes.....I just recently saw that idler pulley for the first time....last week. There were three versions of air conditioning compressor attachment. That one is most probably more common on late vw bus. As hou suspect it was an idler pullet for the AC belt. Ray
ProctorSilex

Re: more mystery parts

Post by ProctorSilex »

Thanks, Ray. I will try to find a bit of dowel to tap out that sensor. Don't know what I will do with it but it can go into the oddities box.