Custom fan Shroud .

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
wreck

Re: Custom fan Shroud .

Post by wreck »

I brazed the ends of the tubes and silver soldered the pipe into the 1/8 NPT fittings .
No matter where you go , there you are !
MegaManx

Post by MegaManx »

Hey wreck are you going to make it to Warwick?
wreck

Post by wreck »

not in the Ghia , had too many issues ,not the cooling system ! main problem was the 48 tri jets I got that were supposed to be recondition had issues with the dellorto drip in a big way . set me back to much fixing them .now chasing an exhaust leak that may be a cylinder leak . 3 of the 4 CHT's are very close but #2 is 20c lower and it's on the cylinder that I suspect the leak to be from .
2.6 Ghia .jpg

looks impressive though and early days but I'd say the cooling system works better than the 911 one on my 2.3 in my Splitty . the same MGL TC-1 gauge and same thermocouples , I've devconed the thermocouple to the spark plug boss(gives me a lower reading, I know) , the same on both engines . the Split has a 103X71 with 8 to 1 comp . the Ghia has 103X78 with 10.5 to comp and has lower CHT's by about 15C . CHT's running around tonight ,30C ambient . 100 C .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

What is the melting temperature of the solder you used on the oil squirters?
wreck

Post by wreck »

279 C , if my case ever gets to that temperature I'm in big trouble !

I had a cylinder leak actually on #2 , both #2 and #4 are .003 shorter ,even though the decks are even. we had problems opening up the heads to the big bore because of hard spots in the castings . even though I lapped the heads the worst one ended up on a shorter cylinder, if it had been on the longer cylinder I think the crush in the annealed copper gasket would have sealed it. I've shimmed out the cylinders and will take the heads to another friend with a big Bridgeport to sort out the high spots .
benito26

Post by benito26 »

Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing this in the flesh
wreck

Post by wreck »

Thanks Benito . Just waiting now for Aaron Roberts to get a bit of time ,he's got a few Auto's to do first that customers are screaming for. I'll have it a Valla next year , the main reason for most of the build of the car is the Raleigh lap dash.
bj

Post by bj »

i really like the small foot print of the shroud!
66 deluxe

Post by 66 deluxe »

wreck wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am not in the Ghia , had too many issues ,not the cooling system ! main problem was the 48 tri jets I got that were supposed to be recondition had issues with the dellorto drip in a big way . set me back to much fixing them .now chasing an exhaust leak that may be a cylinder leak . 3 of the 4 CHT's are very close but #2 is 20c lower and it's on the cylinder that I suspect the leak to be from . 2.6 Ghia .jpg

looks impressive though and early days but I'd say the cooling system works better than the 911 one on my 2.3 in my Splitty . the same MGL TC-1 gauge and same thermocouples , I've devconed the thermocouple to the spark plug boss(gives me a lower reading, I know) , the same on both engines . the Split has a 103X71 with 8 to 1 comp . the Ghia has 103X78 with 10.5 to comp and has lower CHT's by about 15C . CHT's running around tonight ,30C ambient . 100 C .
Nice work Wreck, I am running a DTM on my 2270 Type 4, I would love to be able to come check your work out in person.
wreck

Post by wreck »

Cool 66 . I'll PM you when its up and running .
wreck

Post by wreck »

Just a tip given to me by one of Australia's better engine builders. if your building a performance low clearance hi comp engine.After you've done your deck heights and are ready to bolt the heads on , torque up the heads to 25 pounds or so then leave it sit over night for the sealant around the base of the cylinders to go off . then carefully remove the heads and check that the cylinders are even with a straight edge . If not shim out the cylinders that are short . a few thou won't change the comp that much but will cause head leak issues like I had . my #4 and #2 were .003" shorter even though the decks were within .001" of each other .

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=20118
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wreck

Post by wreck »

I guess 40mm exhaust valves are just too big for safety on AMC heads .
PB121080.JPG
, nothing is ever easy .
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Nevermind... Maybe a little welding first?. :evil:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
wreck

Post by wreck »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhHJdmpBEsU

It runs , still tuning the carbs but it runs cool :D and the temps are pretty even bar #2 which reads low .I'm finding idle mixture has a big impact on head temps ,with the problems I've had with these carbs I think the low temp is more related to the carbs them the cooling system . I've thermo couples Devconed to the heads beside the plug boss so the readings will be down slightly from a sensor under the plug , so far the CHT readings are around 100c just cruising around, with an ambient of 24C .
Full throttle is leaning out so I'll fit a smaller set of air correctors tomorrow and see how that works . I'll also be going to a Megajolt ignition in the next little while . I'm happy to be able to finally drive it .
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Have been following along. Really nice project/nice work.