P&C Identification

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
H2OSB

P&C Identification

Post by H2OSB »

Can anyone identify this pistons and cylinder brand?
Marc

Re: P&C Identification

Post by Marc »

I've never seen those markings. FWIW back in the day some NPR Type I pistons had "TS" cast into them; Jap pistons typically have a small divot right in the center of the crown, do these have that?
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Thank you, Marc. Indeed they do...small divot exactly in the center of the flat top. Also on the crown a small arrow pointing to the flywheel, I assume, and the letters "STD".

I would only like to use the cylinders, if they're usable. The pistons aren't in the best condition. One still has a ring frozen in full compression (such that I cannot locate the ring gap).

Would the cylinders be safe to use, assuming they're sound? There are no fins broken off and no cracks I can see (I would have them checked more closely, professionally if it's safe top move forward.)

H2OSB
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Anyone? bump
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm unaware of any inherent weakness in Japanese cylinders, so if they check out OK I'd have no qualms about using them after honing provided the piston-to-cyl clearance isn't excessive.

I've only encountered ONE NPR jug (a big-bore 40HP 83mm) that had a pinhole in the casting - much better statistically than, say, Vicsa Brazilian. Can't speak to how "hard" they are since I've never used any in an engine expected to last a long time (and have only used cast-iron rings in them), the amount of ring-ridge worn into yours should help with judging that.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The NPR pistons and cylinders were actually pretty good quality. Ray
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Ray, is that what you think they are? Marc didn't seem sure. Honestly, though, it doesn't matter. If they check out, I'm going to use them with KB pistons

johnL
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Marc, how can I identify them as T4 or T1? I got them as one of the items in a purchase of "T4 parts", and they had the pistons sitting inside of them. To me, it looked as though the guy was planning to build a 1911 and never got around to it (it all came from a shop just south of San Jose, CA that was closing it's doors after many years in business). The case, crank, and connecting rods I got in the deal are from a 1971 1.7L 914 engine, based upon the engine code (well, the block anyway...however, the crank and rods are still mounted inside the unsplit case.). The pistons measure out to 96mm.

I have a locally well known and respected engine shop who I was thinking about have check out the cylinders, however, they do NOT specialize in aircooled engines. Should I leave the inspection to someone who specializes in AC engines or should any reputable shop be able to determine their soundness? I must admit to woeful ignorance of AC engines, and I don't want to make a glaring mistake building my engine.

johnL
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Hi,

You are in San Jose?

I'm in Santa Cruz, and can help you measure your cylinders, if that works..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Nah I'm in Modesto. It was a nightmare to get those parts but I got a crazy good deal. If I turn them into most of a 1911cc T4 I'll really feel like I won. I really appreciate the offer of help on my cylinders, but it's a ways to go for me.

JohnL
Marc

Post by Marc »

H2OSB wrote:Marc, how can I identify them as T4 or T1?...
Biggest commonly-available bore for Type I is 94mm, and 22mm is the largest-diameter wristpin (Type IV are 24mm as a rule) - can tell from the photo that the cyl is Type IV, too (the "notched" lower spigot is a distinguishing characteristic).

So long as you aren't having the cylinders bored, any auto machine shop should be fine. Checking them for diameter/taper wear and honing them is routine.

Are the pistons you plan to use hypereutectic or forged? The latter typically need over twice the piston-to-cylinder clearance.
I'll leave it to the Type IV gurus to suggest the ideal clearance. Will the usage be primarily street? Do you intend to run a thermostat?
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Marc, thanks again! I plan to use Keith Black hypereutectics. I measured the pistons at 96mm but I never thought about the wrist pins. I never wanted anything more than a 1911cc (with THESE cylinders...kinda pinned for a 2056cc for a while, but I'm trying to build this engine on the cheap side) so no boring.

The car will be 75% street 25% autocross. I'm not brave enough for tracking and went out of my 1/4 mile phase last time I had a V8 powered vehicle.

johnL
Marc

Post by Marc »

H2OSB wrote:I plan to use Keith Black hypereutectics. The car will be 75% street 25% autocross...
Hopefully you won't have more than ~.004" piston-to-cyl clearance then.
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticl ... istons.php