T4 conversion tin questions

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
cdm

T4 conversion tin questions

Post by cdm »

Doing a Cali convert on a '73 2L. There is not a lot of detail in Joe's book or in pics on the net about the treatment of the lower end of the oil cooler tin. I have expanded the doghouse and mounted the cooler but this leaves a large gap on the LH side of the cooler as you face the doghouse. Is this supposed to be filled in with a piece of tin or am I missing a part? Seems it should be tight to force all the air over the cooler and out the exhaust.

Also, on some of the conversions I see the lower tins cover the entire bottom of the cylinders and heads. On others there is vented tin in these locations. Not quite clear on what's correct here. Can anyone provide direction?

Otherwise, think I have it figured out.
Piledriver

Re: T4 conversion tin questions

Post by Piledriver »

The cooler is supposed to have a layer of foam as a air seal front, back and top.
The "doghouse" should fit snugly on that foam.

You may also need to make something along the lines of a Hoover bit.

The tins should ideally go almost all the way to the bottom of the cylinders/heads like stock, just to maximize cooling area.

The engine compartment also needs to remain sealed, so it only sucks cool air from the vents, not hot/stale air off the muffler etc, so you shouldn't really be able to see that.

The bottom tin UNDER the engine directs the "used" hot air out the back.
If you have a header, making the tin to seal that up properly takes effort...
Don't let that stop you.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
cdm

Re: T4 conversion tin questions

Post by cdm »

Got it. The foam clears up the mystery. Thanks much.