2.0 Vanagon Top End Rebuild - Deck Height and Compression

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
mrcool

2.0 Vanagon Top End Rebuild - Deck Height and Compression

Post by mrcool »

Everyone over on the samba keeps telling me to ask my questions here. so... Hi! I am in the process of doing a top end rebuild on my '83 air cooled vanagon and came up with some questions as I am new to rebuilding. I'd really appreciate some feed back on how my build is going so far.

Engine - type 4 2.0 CV stamped engine case. New amc heads, new mahle P&C with dished heads. Cam and crank, gearing, tires are stock

Driving style - I don't know what 65mph puts me at but I would venture to say I'd be low RPM. However I do plan on long road trips for camping. Two people in the car + gear.

Right now these are my numbers:
Bore - 94mm - Brand new Mahle P&Cs
Deck Height - 0.74mm to 1.05mm - This is measured with the .24mm (0.01") shim under the Cylinders. measuring from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder. I did not include the 0.030" lip that is on the new heads. This was taken into account in the head CCing
Head CC - 72cc - I used 56.5ml to 57ml of water on every head chamber. + 15ml for piston dishes. It should be noted that when I calculated this on new AMC heads I also took into account the 0.030" lip volume. This comes out to about 6ml.
Stroke - 71.85mm

According to this calc that puts me at 7.5 compression
http://cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

It sounds like I need to be shooting for a minimum deck height of 0.762mm (0.03")... and I am at 0.74 (0.0291"). I know that most people say 0.04". The 0.74mm number I have is scaring me though. That is 0.0291" and is below what people that race use (0.035") so I've heard. Am I shooting for this DH to prevent valves from hitting the piston or to prevent the piston from hitting the head??

Basically, I took some bad advice and just put everything together (at least I measured everything...?). Because the P&Cs and heads are now assembled with aviation sealant I want to get a good understanding of what I am doing and why so I can decide if I need to take them off, have to clean, and reassemble. I think in order to get the compression I have had suggested (7.8) then I need to shim to increase the DH and then have the step on the heads fly cut.

Realistically, am I ok as is? The down side of 7.5 vs doing it right and getting 7.8 is a slight loss in power which I am ok with. I just don't want to damage the engine...

Edit: another thing that just cross my mind. If the issue is the valve to piston clearance... these are dished pistons, there should be lots of room. If that is the concern would I be able to set the engine to TDC and remove the head to put clay onto the piston without compromising the aviation seal?
Bruce.m

Re: 2.0 Vanagon Top End Rebuild - Deck Height and Compression

Post by Bruce.m »

Sealant is under the cylinder, yes? Not under the head.
mrcool

Re: 2.0 Vanagon Top End Rebuild - Deck Height and Compression

Post by mrcool »

That is correct. between the cylinder, shim, and block