Exhaust silence VS. performance

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Hummel

Exhaust silence VS. performance

Post by Hummel »

Hello Guys.

I have a 2.4 L type 4 in my 1303 and i'm starting to get a bit tired of the noise in the car. My first thought is to mout a second exhaust muffler in serie with my CSP system so the system will look a bit like the system on the picture.

My concern is if this will decrease the performance of the engine ? It's a high-end performer with about 200HP at about 7000 RPM.
roadracing_anlage_ahnendorp_1599_0.jpg
Udstødning.jpg

Or will it be better to use my energy/money on a centermounted airfilter, I run two IDA's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hummel on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
wreck

Re: Exhaust silence VS. performance

Post by wreck »

A lot of your noise will be from the IDA's, 2 twin throat carbs create a lot of induction noise. Check that the packing in the muffler hasn't burn't away , tap the muffler , it shouldn't sound hollow . I had 2 magna flow mufflers that burn't out quite quickly, I cut open the mufflers ,packed them with stainless swarf ( pot scrubbers) and welded them shut . Ended up replacing the end muffler with a triple pass muffler to quieten the engine . (102x71 with 45mm Dell's .)
There are articles on the net on how to get zero loss on performance engines and quiet exhausts .
No matter where you go , there you are !
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

The position and length of the tail pipe relative to the car body makes a big difference. Post a pic of your current install.
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

Here are some pictures of my current exhaust.

Is there any alternative to the two KN-filters on IDA's ?? I have seen an airfilter box mounted with Porsche fan, but not with type 1 conversion. And isn't that aitbox pretty expensive ?

Thanks for the respons

One picture ended in the first post, sorry for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wreck

Post by wreck »

It's a bit hard to see in the photo .I moulded my own from fibreglass , just made the shape I wanted from polystyrene and covered it with packing tape , then layered some fibreglass with epoxy resin (doesn't melt the polystyrene) . once cured I just dug out the polystyrene . If you buy one make sure it will flow enough for your engine first , a friend got caught out with a CSP system that didn't flow enough even for a 95 RWHP type 4 .
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

Yeah I also though that i could build my own with fiberglass. Could be fun...

Does someone have any idea how large tubes i should use for a 200 hp 2.4 type 4 ? :) Or could i measure it somehow?
wreck

Post by wreck »

I went over kill , a 4" K&N pod filter with 3" pipe runner between the carbs , have a look at other designs , I would recommend having good clearance around the ram tubes so you don't shroud the airflow into the tubes .
type3

Post by type3 »

I've gone for a twin silencer BAS same as you posted in the hope it'll silence my engine (T1 2332cc). Apparently the mufflers in series do a good job of silencing. I'm due fit it this weekend.

Be aware that the pic above is the older version with BMW mufflers. The one I received have BAS made stainless mufflers. The BMW mufflers supposedly robbed 8hp per muffler.

Reference threads:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=62156

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=64662
Last edited by type3 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
type3

Post by type3 »

Hummel wrote:Yeah I also though that i could build my own with fiberglass. Could be fun...

Does someone have any idea how large tubes i should use for a 200 hp 2.4 type 4 ? :) Or could i measure it somehow?
You'd need to make some for IDA's as no one sells them that I could find. For the hats I'm going to mold from the bottom of a 50L plastic bin. I'm probably going to go 4 inch pipes (overkill) to an airbox from a Ford Mondeo ST220 V6.

Reason for 4 inch and not smaller is purely because Summit sell some nice Y-pipes for V8's. If I can find a 3 inch equivalent, I'll use that instead. :)