Dual carbs from VW bus

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Spyke

Dual carbs from VW bus

Post by Spyke »

In searching through the archived posts, I saw it mentioned that the dual carb setup out of a 72-73 bus would work on a 1.7L out of a 914. (I plan on keeping the engine @ stock displacement with no head mods)

Any leads on where a guy would go looking for this setup, or how much I'd expect to pay for the carbs, manifolds, and linkage? Would the carbs need to modified at all for an upright 914 conversion?

The thought of using a stock VW setup appeals to me...
Joe Del

Dual carbs from VW bus

Post by Joe Del »

I have a 34-PDSIT dual carb setup from a 1.7 liter transporter that will fit your 914. The Transporter intake manifolds won't fit the 914 head without modifying the manifold. The 914 head has a 3 bolt intake flange and the Transporter head has a 4 bolt intake flange. The modification is as simple as drilling an extra hole in the manifold flange for the center stud. I can send you the carbs, linkage with or without the manifolds.

What type of vehicle are you putting this engine in? I know the carbs will fit the engine if it's installed in a bus, bug, ghia or 914. You may have a problem (carb height) if the car is a Type III (notchback, fastback or squareback) or a Type IV (411/412). Other than a rebuild kit, no carb modification is necessary. You may need to modify the cooling fan shroud depending on the type of shroud you decide to use.

If you're interested, send me an email.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joe Del (edited 09-22-2000).]
Dave_Darling

Dual carbs from VW bus

Post by Dave_Darling »

Actually, only the 2.0 914 heads have the three-stud intake. The 1.7s and 1.8s have the standard four-stud pattern.

So those carbs should bolt up to a 1.7 914 engine without any modifications.

--DD
Tarnx

Dual carbs from VW bus

Post by Tarnx »

I have a pair of the 34s which came stock on the bus. I originally got them for a T1 as a cheap upgrade and to look neat. The Bentley manual goes into detail on how to set them up. There is a lot of vaccuum hoses which must be run correctly as alot of the adjustments for the carbs especialy idle is controlled by the left carb only. They are strange critters but they were pretty good carbs if set up right. I believe Rocky Mountain Motorsports have rebuild kits for them. As a bonus the fellow I got them from gave me a set of NOS T3 manifolds. These will sport a pair of regular T1 34s for my daily driver. I intend to modify the carbs according to an article in Hot VW mag. polish the bores, redirect the accel pump outlet, increase the accel pump volumn, and increase the jets a little bit. Some basics from other engines carry over to others.