Help for buying piston for a Big type 4 engine

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Hummel

Help for buying piston for a Big type 4 engine

Post by Hummel »

Hey guys.

I'm slowly collecting parts for a Big type4 build. I have a 82mm crank with chevy journals and some long rods(Can't remeber the exact length right now) with 22mm wristpin.

I found some used JE piston. But i don't know if they are the right choice.

Compression height is: 1.125 "
Bore is: 4.185"
Wrist pin: .787"

Since they are for a V8 the domes for the valves also would need a bit of work.

My questions to you guys is now:

If i could make a new bushing for my connecting rod to fit a .787" wristpin, would the decreased in strength be of any concern ?

Would it be possible to weld the domes up and relocate them ? The pistons is forged.

The engine would not be charged.

Thanks.

Tommy
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: Help for buying piston for a Big type 4 engine

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Your Bore choice is pushing it, but will depend on how much heat you run and how well your able to cool the cyl's. Then finding cyl's that can go that large with out punching through the sides.
.787"-20mm pins: Some of the rod manufactures make oversized bushings, so those shouldn't be an issue.

Piston Domes: Could be an issue, our valve angle I believe are 11 deg most chevy's are 18 to 23 deg, so the domes are formed to fit those angles, your best bet would be to find flat top or dished pistons, to take away a lot of the head ache's and expenses.

I have been running new & used Nascar pistons for years, and am currently going with a set of JE 4.180"-106.172mm bore Nascar Takeouts in my 2.9 ltr, and they have 20mm pins.

And no you can not weld on the pistons.

Hummel wrote:Hey guys.

I'm slowly collecting parts for a Big type4 build. I have a 82mm crank with chevy journals and some long rods(Can't remeber the exact length right now) with 22mm wristpin.

I found some used JE piston. But i don't know if they are the right choice.

Compression height is: 1.125 "
Bore is: 4.185"
Wrist pin: .787"

Since they are for a V8 the domes for the valves also would need a bit of work.

My questions to you guys is now:

If i could make a new bushing for my connecting rod to fit a .787" wristpin, would the decreased in strength be of any concern ?

Would it be possible to weld the domes up and relocate them ? The pistons is forged.

The engine would not be charged.

Thanks.

Tommy
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”