Who says you can't race a type-4??

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
aircooledtechguy

Who says you can't race a type-4??

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I've been spending several weekends lately auto-xing my 2316cc type-4 powered Squareback at the local track. Who says you can't race a type-4??
2-20-2016-1.jpg
2-20-2016-2.jpg
2-20-2016-3.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TKzCgZkUuQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crocteau

Re: Who says you can't race a type-4??

Post by crocteau »

Sweet! Respect! 8)
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

What are the specs on the engine and suspension?
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Lo Cash John wrote:What are the specs on the engine and suspension?
It's a 2316cc stroker that was built by my son Josh (at age 14). It's running MS3X injection, 45mm ITBs LS2 coils Fully sequential fuel & spark. 9.5:1 CR. Porsche 912E 5-speed. Porsche 911 front suspension, steering & brakes. 944 rear suspension & brakes. Speedway engineering 1" hollow sway bar in front, 5/8" EMPI bar in the back. Koni yellows in front, KYB's in the rear.

The photo on the top is of me taking my daughter's new BF for a hot lap. I literally met him for the first time 2 minutes before that photo was taken. "Hi, nice to meet you. Hop in. . ." :lol:
Last edited by aircooledtechguy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

Nate I had several T-3 and think it was one of the best cars vw every made. Had hot T-3 engines, cams etc and they were nice but never did a T-4 in it. Perfect car for that engine.

My wifes favorite car, we did 2 trips to Miami from NY in it. Believe it or not it had AC. But on the trips I was afraid to use it. The compressors were massive, actually I made an air compressor from it. Still have it.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

With a modern AC compressor the AC is almost not noticeable for engine load, even when it kicks in.
The variable displacement Delphi unit I run on the current 1.8L T4 does a "soft start" from 5% each time its fired up, so it almost doesn't even effect the idle.
(The Megasquirt compensates so fast I have yet to bother hooking up the "AC idle up" feature)

In some ways the T4 actually works out better fit wise than the original engine did, esp as the T4 factory cooling was designed to take an AC compressor, so there are no funky slots cut in the air intake tin for the belts to allow it as on a T3 motor--- not an afterthought.

The T4 AC belt runs behind the fan.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

A big sign of vastly improved AC compressors was when I was on vacation in the Caribbean and I rented a 3 cylinder car and it had AC that worked really well..
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]