Valve Springs

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
mdmax72

Valve Springs

Post by mdmax72 »

How do l go about or is there a formula to work out what poundage springs l need?

Collecting bits for a 2270cc. I'm going to use a webcam 86b cam with type 1 lightweight lifters with bronze inserts in the case. I purchased a new pair of new le200 heads from a colleague with dual springs set up to use standard valve gear. I've had the spring rates checked and are as follows.

Without any base shims l have 1.52" so with the duals fitted l get 123lb installed and 325lbs at 0.500" with 338lbs at 530" Coil bind is + 090"

As a single spring instaled at 1.50" you have 99lbs with 227lbs at 500" and 235 at 530" coil is + 070"

So the question is, am l best to run duals, singles or find some new springs??

Regards
Richard
Piledriver

Re: Valve Springs

Post by Piledriver »

A T4 86B or 86C requires dual springs.
Even a 119 requires duals, its due to the lift.

There may be some beehives out there that might work, but it would be strictly experimental, and probably only to 6500-ish.

With LE200s and an 86B you will be able to pull ~>7000 RPM,
I'm not confident of any beehives I have seen used at those revs.
Put them back in with the steel base shims as supplied or the springs will slowly chew the head up.

The HAM/Raby supplied setup is proven to work out of the box with that cam and its friends.
You must still set up the rocker geometry etc of course, and the HD spacerts/rocker studs required...
Porsche swivel feet in 1.7L rockers is highly recommended, as are CrMo pushrods.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.