T4 2345cc & Pauter Super Pro Heads.? Need Help with build

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
vicoval56

T4 2345cc & Pauter Super Pro Heads.? Need Help with build

Post by vicoval56 »

Recently i purchased a T4 2345cc engine with the following spec's;
Demillo crank 69mm forged and ? stroked,Carillo rods with 5.5 with 2in chev journals,Pistons are 104mm Vanolea pistons domed and notched, heads are by Pauter Super Pro with complete value train and roller rockers,Dry Sump 4 stage Centre -flo system, Weber 48 IDA's, MSD billet dizzie. I have added a DTM V2 cooling kit, MSD 6AL- 2 ignition box . Needs linkage bar, custom exhaust system to be installed in my recent off chassis restoration of '56 Iris Blue beetle. It has a IRS Floor pan, std disc front, type3 Drums on rear with flared guards front and rear with full TT Audio seat interior.

I live in Australia, Victoria exactly and T4 conversions are not regarded favourable - in fact disliked! My questions re advice on this 'transplant'; Is it a street able T4? What type of up graded braking members wouls suggest, transmission is stock T1.Intend to run dry sump system. What others mods would i need? This is a short to medium term build - i am not a 'hoon' but i love a bit of T4 grunt now and then.
Would appreciate any constructive advice from the collective wisdom from this forum.

Thanks
Piledriver

Re: T4 2345cc & Pauter Super Pro Heads.? Need Help with buil

Post by Piledriver »

We have a few T4 driving nutcases from down under here from time to time, its probably only "looked down upon" by those who only know T1s.

The linkage is a gimme assuming Slowtwitch makes an IDA version of the Synclink, I suspect he has.
Check http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 9&start=52 may want to read through the thread to see how things progressed.

He sells them on TOS (That other site, thesamba.com, which has a retail and user classifieds section)

They have ended up on more than one "show" car and still manage to be a focal point of a trick engine.
They also happen to work absolutely awesome.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Here is a link to his sync link listing on the samba.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1381017

The super pro heads are full race drag type heads. You may want to sell those off and go for a more streetable modified stock head. The exhaust will match the heads (type 1 style ports) and also won't work in a street car. Same with the mile long oil pump. Those parts are great race gear and have a lot of value to the right person.
wreck

Post by wreck »

Does the DTM fit over the Heads ? , I saw a write up on Don Pauter's ghia with a complete Pauter 3ltr engine that is street driven . The dry sump pump means you need to run a small bottom pulley which drops your fan speed ,not good for a street car ,plus it's not really needed for a street car .
I'd ask Pauter what they would recommend in the way of cooling and compression etc to get away with those heads , you can always fit porsche oil squirters to help cool the top end . I'm also using water injection to keep the head temps down .
No matter where you go , there you are !
vicoval56

Post by vicoval56 »

Thanks Steve for the sync link site, means more cash to splash. As i purchased the motor complete, i am reluctant to 'break it down' to install street able components . 'Wreck' you are correct re the small pulley and airflow, however, the DTM fits well over the heads, you need to cut out the exhaust outlets at the front and rear. I think contact with Pauter to discuss options is a good option. The motor builder i have been told was Jay Cee enterprises and claim this 'Donk' is capable in excess of 240hp at the crank.If i intend running this motor on the street - weekend cruise and club events, i still need info on brakes, gearbox,strengthening key area's or someone who has past experiences with this type of T4 in Melbourne. Any idea's - happy to include some pic's of the build once i learn how to post pic's.
Thanks
wreck

Post by wreck »

damo99 is on this forum and I think from Melbourne ,he should be able to steer you in the right direction .
I am in Brisbane so can't help you there . I'm in the process of building a 2.6 for a 69 ghia , I've built a 091 with a beetle nose cone and Peloquin diff for it (not cheap) , on the brakes it has standard discs up front with an empi type disc rear kit . I've fitted dual master cylinders with a bias bar . 5/8 on the front and 11/16 on the rear. (all mod plated ) .

A friend up here has a dry sumped type 4 , he made his own serpentine belt kit ,with pulleys to maintain a good fan speed , it helps that he's a fitter and turner :-) .
I've a 103x71 type4 in a splitty (look on the Cooling thread) everyday driving and flat out rpm runs the head temps are great , what it struggled with was pushing wind at 110kmh (3400rpm)on a hot day towing a trailer.Head temps would start going over 195C , I've heard 400F(205c) is the number to stay below if you want your heads to last. I've fitted spray bars to the valve covers ,notched the rods (piston cooling) which has helped . the best thing so far has been water injection , injectors from Aquamist , pump and needle valve from ebay , I use a 4mm festo ball valve coupled to the throttle to increase flow with throttle . I still need to fit a pump switch to come on over 2500rpm because the water causes a lean mixture below that.An O2 gauge is a very hand tool. You can buy a proper kit from Snow or Aquamist but with our dollar it makes it very expensive . Heads now stay around 175C :D
No matter where you go , there you are !
damo99

Post by damo99 »

i am from also melbourne and run type 4's in everyting from beetles ,type 3's to my split bus .
i find some people in australia are scared of the type 4 conversion
but mainly due to price of parts and the conversion itself .
with the power and tourqe the type 4 can put out a stock gearbox won't last long
unless you baby it..
also a good set of 4 wheel discs should be on the list of parts as well
vicoval56

Post by vicoval56 »

Damo99 thanks for your comments," the enlightened usually shine the light for others to follow", each to their own, brother. Gearbox issue's, baby it is and disc brakes think of 944 porsche conversion as i have a set of chrome Fuchs 17 x7 to shod each corner. Dry sump may need some advice, 'wreck' head temp guidelines are most useful to this newby. Working on my 2 litre to fit as we complete the rewire with modern micro blades, etc. We post some pics soon. Keep up the info flow its appreciated.
mactaylor

Post by mactaylor »

E85 may help with the head temps aswell! and a few extra ponies!