SCORE!! I think. Now what parts am I missing?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Carguy89

SCORE!! I think. Now what parts am I missing?

Post by Carguy89 »

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/ ... 62AC57.jpg

I picked this up a few years ago at a show in Portland Oregon for 150$ as is. I originally just wanted the DTM cooling stuff for another project but now I think I may try to do something with it for my beetle. It is a CB case and is not seized.
I drained the oil out of it the day after I got it and there was a lot of water that came out with it.
What DTM parts am I missing?
What kind of damage should I expect to see inside from the water?
Piledriver

Re: SCORE!! I think. Now what parts am I missing?

Post by Piledriver »

Score? abso-freaking-lutely.

The DTM by itself goes for ~ a grand or more these days, PLUS you may have an original Joe Lociero unit... Portland was his home turf. Jake bought the design after Joe passed.

It could be the one I didn't want to spend $450 and wait 6 weeks for when I lived in Portland. :evil: :oops:

Take it apaht
and caaaarefully store all the bits, its the only way to know whats gone and fix it if it got water in it.

Even somewhat rusty original German jugs are well worth reboring to 96mm, and there's was at least one really good machine shop in NE Portland that knows what they are doing... can't recall the name, but I could probably find it again.

I want to say "Longs" but it has been >15 years now.

You are missing the DTM gen stand but you can buy that from RAT.
Last edited by Piledriver on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Piledriver wrote:Score? abso-freaking-lutely.
:)

The water may have corroded the bottom of the sump, but the alloy used in Type IV cases isn't as susceptible to this problem as Type I cases. You won't know for sure until you split it, but hopefully you won't find any corrosion that a little JB Weld can't fix.
Carguy89

Post by Carguy89 »

Thanks Pile and Marc. I am actually up in Nothern Canada 1600 miles away from Portland. I was on a Road trip vacation with my wife when I bought the engine. The Rose City Bug In was my first VW car show ever. I had no intention on buying an engine but could not pass this up. I loaded it in the back of our Honda SUV and hauled it the 1600 miles home. I have a very understanding wife. Lol

I will be careful taking it apart. Hopefully the engine is not too bad inside.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Even if the longblock is total scrap, you're still ahead on the shroud bits. No way can you lose on this deal.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I'm not sure if RAT still does retail sales, but Charles at thetype4store.com can set you up for the stand.

The surround tin is pretty easy to fabricate, but he may have just that too.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Carguy89

Post by Carguy89 »

I had a look at the type4store website and the engine tin as well as the alt stand are available. I always though Raby was the type4store? Have things changed in the world of type4 stuff in recent years?
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Score!!

Everybody loves to see a story like this!
An OG OPP DTM?
:shock:

Charles Navarro took over the type 4 store.
Jake does complete builds and Porsches and Subarus and whatnot now.

Would love to see you get this together!

Maybe you would be so kind as to do a little build thread for us here?
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Carguy89

Post by Carguy89 »

Not sure if this is a OPP DTM. How do you tell?

I certainly will do a build thread on this when the time comes, going to need a lot of advise. I decided to put this on the back burner for now and build a type 1. The idea here is walk before you run. I just split my type 1 case the other day and will be getting ready to put it back together shortly. As soon as that's done the type4 is going on the engine stand. I will be doing a build thread on the type1 in the engine building forum.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It'll probably have a serial number plate or molded in number of some sort.

Jake would probably be able to verify//guess vintage based on specific construction details but he doesn't visit us anymore, I'm not even sure where he hangs out these days.

He may have foregone the whole online thing to spend more quality time with his family and running his business, it must have been a huge time suck.

Its possible its a Raby DTM but given the probable vintage and the source locale it being an Oregon Performance shroud is very high.

Charles Navarro is the "N" in LN Engineering.
Retail sales via the type4store... was probably not Jakes favorite thing, Charles is good with people, so it worked out.

I can't imagine building a T1 anymore, has been decades now.
T4s keep going.
Carguy89

Post by Carguy89 »

I talked to Jake once on the phone a few years ago. Very knowledgeable but doesn't hand out knowledge for free. Pretty sure I can gain the knowledge I am looking for on this website instead of paying him for it.
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

That is a very good score! If it's Jake's version there will be a plate riveted to the front lower left corner of shroud (#4 cylinder). If the plate was removed there might still be two holes left from rivets.

I spent plenty of time at Jake's shop helping with projects for a few years, and got to know him some. He knows his stuff and I have total respect for the man. I seen with what, and where he started, and the level he's gotten to. I got to build my 2.9L T4 at his shop, and learned quite a bit through that week long 14 hour a day build. I consider him a friend. He's still building T4's as we speak. Along with Late model Porsche.
Carguy89

Post by Carguy89 »

had a look the other day. There is no plate rivited to the left side. Or any identification numbers at all for that matter. I guess this must be an original OPP kit. Is there anything that makes this any better than one of Jakes kits? Or just the cool factor?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Carguy89 wrote:had a look the other day. There is no plate rivited to the left side. Or any identification numbers at all for that matter. I guess this must be an original OPP kit. Is there anything that makes this any better than one of Jakes kits? Or just the cool factor?

Just the cool factor of an original anything.
Jake made some reliability and cooling uniformity improvements, some of which he described in his old forums.