fiberglass head tins

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
dave t

fiberglass head tins

Post by dave t »

I have a pair of head tins that I have taken to 2 different glass companies in the area. Both came close to the same price for making a mold off of the standing parts I have. 920.00 ( 460 each) for 2 or 400 ish for 1 and 600 ish for 2. So with that being said what would to do what to do?. I have no clue what to sell the head tins for, not looking to retire off the sales, but I don't want to wait for many years either to recoup my investment. 100 a pair? 200 a pair. Both guys said about 25.00~30.00 in materials if I buy it in small qtys. The most honest or straight forward guy said about 4~5 hrs worth of labor. so 10.00/hr labor ( I'm cheap) X 5 hrs plus 30.00 materials ( I'm not very good at fiberglass) = 80.00 per set plus dividing the cost of the molds :? here are a few pics of the tins, most of you have seen them before. Image , Image ,Image ,Image.
didranway

Re: fiberglass head tins

Post by didranway »

Looks good!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There are numerous ways to skin a cat here.

Making molds only differs in the details from laying glass in them to make parts.

I suspect you could make yourself a dozen sets of "hard" molds for far less than what they quote.

The other "easy" button is simply pop out styrofoam cores for others to glass themselves, or for your own use.

Laying epoxy glass in a foam mold then dissolving the mold is trivial, and allows you to make some parts that would otherwise required multiple molds. Its also dirt cheap.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

splitime

Post by splitime »

Looks like the top half of the SharpBuilt style, which is also fiberglass I believe. Could use their price sheet to figure out what yours would be worth? I don't see a bottom shell though in these (theirs is 6 pieces I think), using some factory metal or something else?
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

May be Sharpbuilt or CSP. Interesting gen alt. stand Channel iron. Smart, cheap and it works, like simple. Then fiberglass covers if reasonable work with my Cali Style Shroud. Actually I use Sharpbuilt Sealing tin.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
dave t

Post by dave t »

The generator stand is made of aluminum, drill out the bail dimples and bolt this in, oil breather is also an oil filler tube. They must have seen your book Joe, as they were doing the oil cooler trick. They were also in the process of making this piece. Image , Image , Image, to the right of the pink/red piece with the hole in it. This can only use the generator, again it has a fill/breather hole and uses the bolt in trick. 1 pc aluminum milled and drilled.
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

Wow who ever they were it seems they were experimenting on different prototypes to sell. I must admit I like guys trying different way to do the same thing, like hold a generator in place. I find the channel iron piece just as cool.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
dave t

Post by dave t »

Image back to asking... anyone want to pull a mold off of these METAL head tins I just scored from a VW show?