Long Neglected Project No Type lV Content Except In The Background

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
petew

Re: Long Neglected Project No Type lV Content Except In The Background

Post by petew »

#likebutton.

I wish we could get them rocker covers for our flat4s. :D
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

I haven't done very much, I did pick up a set of Crower Billet rods for my 427, the rod on the right is a Ford Modified Factory Nascar rod.
Nascar Rod Specs:
C to C: 6.488"
Big End: 2.4xx"
Small End: .975"
Width Small End: 1.300"
Width Big End: .870"
Weight: .978g

Crower Rod Specs:
C to C: 6.500
Big End: BBC 2.200"
Small End: SBC .927"
Width: Small & Big End .900"
Weight: 834g

DSCF0003.JPG
I have made an engine build change, because of the rods I have to use a different crank, which will increase engine size from 429 to 468 Cubic Inch's, and also because of the rods, I have to go Piston Guided Rods, which will look something like this: The crank pictured below has a total side clearance of .360" with .120" in each location, and each rod with an .830" width.

On my crank, I will have .288" side clearance after I modify the rods.

PISTON GUIDED RODS.jpg

Since I bought the NOS 1050 3 Barrel, I have learned there could be issues in tuning it, and I didn't want to learn on the 1050 and end up butchering it, so I bought a used 950 cheap to play with, and the reason it was cheap, because it was already butchered with most of the important pieces cannibalized. I've addressed most of the issues, here's a pic of the rebuilt throttle plate, new front shaft, and I had all the rest of the pieces zinc plated.
DSCF0002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

Boy that is a pretty Crank! All polished up like jewelry.
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
Type 4 Unleashed

Bsherrard wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm Boy that is a pretty Crank! All polished up like jewelry.
Billet Crank, then they had entire crank Micro Polished.

Here is a company I might try: http://www.cryoheat.com/micropolishing/

I am going to send my rocker shafts to have Cryoed & Micro Polished.
Richard

EMW

wreck

Post by wreck »

love the crank as well . I did a AA crank by hand , it took hours and still no where near the same finish .
14352615_10154004169591733_4424205422250545717_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
Type 4 Unleashed

wreck wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 am love the crank as well . I did a AA crank by hand , it took hours and still no where near the same finish .14352615_10154004169591733_4424205422250545717_o.jpg

I don't know who polished the crank in the pic, but the one in the video on Cryoheat, is a forged crank and the rough surfaces clean up nice but it's the machined surfaces that get the benefit of the micro polishing.

If you were to send your crank without the tape to Cryoheat for micro polishing it would come back close to the one in the pic I would think. They have some kinda of machine, I think something like a tumbler, but it spins the item in their media.

I may take a ride down there next week, to check them out.
Richard

EMW

Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Type 4 Unleashed

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make the time to work on the car yet even though I am down to the last issues for the final build, having to work 6 & 7 days a week on my current job.

So, the last item I need are the pistons, so I was able to send in the specs on my build to JE for a quote.
I am going to have to do a engine mockup to check out some possible Piston clearance issues but will be kind of hard to do with out some pistons. So I was able to find a set of used 4.250" bore small block pistons with the .927" pin size I need.
DSCF0001.JPG
And here is a pic of the SCAT 4.125" Forged stroker. The stock stroke for the 427 is 3.78". The counter weights had to be trimmed down for piston clearance, due to rod length,
20190222_115051.jpg
I've got one project I have to finish for someone first, then I can start finding time to work on mine.
Richard

EMW

Type 4 Unleashed

Still haven't done much, mostly staying home due do Covid, working out issue on my carb, picked up a replaceable jet plate, to replace the stock metering plate, which has 2 holes comparable to a specific jet size. You can drill out the holes to increase the jet size, but then the plate is stuck with that jet size. You can get different hole size plates to be able to adjust jet sizes but they get expensive.

Here is a pic of the adjustable jet plate. And the sad thing about it, it has to be modified to be correct, they couldn't even CNC machine the holes in the correct place

DSCF0098.JPG
DSCF0103.JPG

The last time these 3 barrels were made was in 1969, so as of now, there are no original cab kits for them, but I think Holley made the original gaskets and the ones in their kits, also from 850 gaskets, because they didn't want spend for new tooling for new gaskets and the current kits that are available, the gaskets are also just modified Holley 850 double pumper gaskets, and not modified very well at all, example:
DSCF0045.JPG

So I've started making my own gaskets. I've have had a couple of revisions since this gasket was made, and waiting on material to add the last revision:
DSCF0084.JPG
Richard

EMW

Type 4 Unleashed

I've added some revisions to my gaskets, and their almost ready to be laser scanned into a CAD file so I can have a run of gaskets made:
DSCF0152.JPG
The top gasket is for the metering plate, and the bottom one is for the metering block:
DSCF0211.JPG
These are modified for the metering plate:
DSCF0203.JPG
And here is the metering block before it was modified to use in place of the Proform metering plate.
DSCF0155.JPG
And here is the modified metering block, these have to be modified because on the 3 barrel carbs, the boosters are moved toward the center of the 3rd barrel to promote flow, if they had been left in the stock location with the center divider removed, then flow would have suffered substantially:
DSCF0171.JPG
Richard

EMW

twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

That's a great idea having them Lazer cut. Sure beats the days when we made our own with hole cutters and exacto knives. I still have my set of hole cutters.
Type 4 Unleashed

twodollardoug wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:34 pm That's a great idea having them Lazer cut. Sure beats the days when we made our own with hole cutters and exacto knives. I still have my set of hole cutters.
I was talking about having the gaskets Lazer Scanned into a CAD files, even thought they do Laser cut gaskets, I am leaning towards having them Water Jetted, costs about the same, and neither require tooling, and both are done from a CAD file, but the gasket material I will be using has some rubber compound in it, so the heat from the Laser won't leave a finish I would want.

And as to hole punches & exacto knives, that's what I used to make my samples... :lol:

Cams:
Image Image

Richard

EMW