total newbie needs advice

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
dano

total newbie needs advice

Post by dano »

K i have picked thru 103 pages in the search for carbs and or setups and have found nothing so im gonna ask.

1976 bus engine code GD007902 used to be FI was converted to dual single carbs have no idea what brand . totally stock motor

what would be the best carbs to run on this and i want to learn more about the compu tronix ignitions any help or advice is greatly appreciated
The reason for this is i cant seem to get this thing to pull itself out of its own way runs good at 20-35 mph will not pull itself up any kinda of a hill and is eating points every other month starts popping and carrying on so i put new points in and it runs ok again for about a month i live in Wyoming @ 6700 ft elevation and its up and down the mountains both ways to work and home . but the bus just wont do it :oops: :cry:
type411

Re: total newbie needs advice

Post by type411 »

There can be 101 reasons that it will not run. Hard to say over the internet.
I use to say: All engines run for the same reason. If you work on a Ford, Toyota or whatever.

Whenever people see an engine with more than one carb. They tend to blame the carbs.
I your case. The person that converted to carbs, have to have done something to the ignition. Perhaps it runs with the coil from the electronic ignition that the engine was born with. I don´t think the points can handle the amps it draws.
Last edited by type411 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

Eating points is the indicator.
You are not stting them correctly.

Get a Pertronix module and install CORRECTLY and you'll
have power back and will never want to go back to points.....

DOn
busman78

Post by busman78 »

And.... verify which coil you have, a nice Bosch blue coil is a good choice.
dano

Post by dano »

thanx for all the input I know the points are set correctly ... has anyone ever used the compu-tronix dizzy seems pretty straight forward install. yeah i went back thru the paperwork from the P.O. and if i'm reading this right they were re-jetting to try and make the bus reach emissions so im sure the carbs are some of the problem.. i'm trying to figure out what the best carb set-up would be for my engine ive been looking at lowbuggets kadrons but not sure what the largest carbs i can run for the optimum performance ... So i'm considering a Compu-tronix dis-4 and 48mm Kadrons. and the G-Down exhaust. Then i'll wait till summer and decide on cam , heads, hehehe im down with the SICKNESS hehehehe thanx all tell me what you think
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Again... if you haven't, absolutely make sure the coil + and - are hooked up right...
negative goes to the points.

HAve a link to the exhaust?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
FireBuff

Post by FireBuff »

Pile, I think this is the link.......http://www.gdownusa.com/........
I'm about as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar !!!!!
Marc

Post by Marc »

http://www.gdownusa.com/Home_Page.php

A triumph of merchandising over engineering.
If you like the sound of dune-buggy duals (or of two out-of-tune Harleys in close proximity) you'll love the G-Down.
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

and is eating points every other month starts popping and carrying on so i put new points in and it runs ok again for about a month
Explain eating points ? There is a Bosch points grease that is used to grease the points lobe of the dist to keep the points from wearing to fast, if the points lobe is ran dry the points will wear out, is this what your talking about ?

If you intend to buy carbs either 40mm Dells or 40mm Webers. Don't waste your money on Kadrons.

You mentioned getting a cam, I assume for more power, then everything else will need to be bought to work with the cam.

As for a dist, you don't have to spend a ton of money for a good set up, as was mentioned about the exh, it's the same marketing on the dist's, you really can't re-invent the wheel even though all these companies try. What dist do you have ?

As for that Gdown exh that looks to be for a Type 1 motor, and I didn't see anything for a Type lV, and would not use even if there was a Type lV version.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I watched the g-dawg, g-money, g-down or whatever they are called vid, sounded like a lawnmower :roll:

bugpack makes a decent sidewinder style header with a quitepack muffler, tucks nice and sounds good. If you want a baller exhaust then the A1 setup is the hot ticket.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
dano

Post by dano »

sorry been working a lot lately and in the bus barn getting advice also . been doing a lot of testing on the bus this week and this is what i got compression test 100 +- a needle width or so on all 4 , new coil and tested polarity positive side swings meter when cranked , new plugs , new wires , new condenser and points , set with feeler gauge and a double checked with a dwell meter. IDK how this is done my buddy mikes dwell meter and he says they are right ?? replaced battery and cables and checked all ground straps replaced all fuses with new , full tank of 91 . starts ok after warmed up it runs ok at 20 to 30 mph but still no power it barely pulls itself up 1/4 mile 3% grade to get to my house at a running start just fades away as we go uphill runs out up to 35mph on a flat road but if i shift to 4th it falls on it's face and i have to down shift to keep rpms up I have found in the PO paperwork they had started with a 140 jets and went down to 120"s they also changed idle jets IDK no sizes listed but they messed with the accelerator pumps also chicken scratches on paperwork so i have no idea what they have done to the carbs . So according to all the books i have my ignition system is now correct timing is set at 7.5 BTC . I'm waiting on valve cover gaskets then i will properly adjust the valves . I am at 6770 ft elevation and we drive to 9800 so would the Weber 40's be OK for me in a stock 2,0 also is that duals or singles. probably keep everything stock to see how the bus runs for me then upgrade as i feel the need for speed and power hehehehehe thanks for all the input i have learned so much here thanx to everyone :D :D
busman78

Post by busman78 »

The carbs will have a name on them, if not then take a picture of one. Verify the jets, write down the idle, main and air correction sizes. Also check that the vac line off the manifold(s) for the brake booster is intact, like no leaks, connected.
rbourne3

Post by rbourne3 »

Did you buy it from someone at sea level. If so, the carbs are starving for air.
dano

Post by dano »

going to take the carbs off this weekend to see what i got the bus was my only transportation till this week bought a pickup so i can work on the bus. yea its was purchased in provo utah elevation is 4500 mine is 6770-6800 where i live in wyoming. so i'll know more this weekend and i'll post pics of the carbs . i have to order everything here NO WHERE carries parts or anything for my VW unless i drive a couple hours each way.