The Ultimate Type 4 Cam\lifter\related Discussion Thread

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Steve Arndt

Re: The Ultimate Type 4 Cam\lifter\related Discussion Thread

Post by Steve Arndt »

I will post a pic of mine. My bushings are shorter, and made of silicon bronze. I am going to run a fairly mild cam compared to Hotrod so maybe I will be okay. I'm sick of high rpm engines. My case has the bushings, is machined for the PTP/BAS 911 fan ring, 911 oil piston squirters, bored, decked, etc. etc. I have a chingaling load of money in it.

Good point on machining the bushings for T1 as a last resort.

Steve
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

I bet your right, mine were very early sets. I am liking the looks of the tool steel type one lifter right now, only around 90 grams if I read it right? I think I can build a cutter that will open these bushings up to type one lifter specs. I would just been to make new longer pushrods then. Udo Becker I think.
    Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Steve Arndt wrote:I will post a pic of mine. My bushings are shorter, and made of silicon bronze. I am going to run a fairly mild cam compared to Hotrod so maybe I will be okay. I'm sick of high rpm engines. My case has the bushings, is machined for the PTP/BAS 911 fan ring, 911 oil piston squirters, bored, decked, etc. etc. I have a chingaling load of money in it.

Good point on machining the bushings for T1 as a last resort.

Steve
    The lifter on the right is an original 356 lifter and the one on the left was one of the old stock 39g lifter, and then the standard bronze bushing.

Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
    have the money to do it right, but can always
    find the money to do it twice ?”
    Hummel

Post by Hummel »

Are you Guys making the bronze bushing yourself? In that case, what is the excact type of bronze you use?? Or is it possible to buy them anywhere?? Im planning to use either Udo becker or Thorsten Piper Tool steel lifters in my Next type4 engine, and i should be able to Mount the bushing myself, but i can't find them anywhere.

Those aluminium bushing sure looks nice Richard !
    Type 4 Unleashed

Hummel wrote:Are you Guys making the bronze bushing yourself? In that case, what is the excact type of bronze you use?? Or is it possible to buy them anywhere?? Im planning to use either Udo becker or Thorsten Piper Tool steel lifters in my Next type4 engine, and i should be able to Mount the bushing myself, but i can't find them anywhere.

The Aluminum bushings came from Engine Plus I believe, and down the road if necessary, I'll have them bored out to except Type 1 lifters.

The Bronze bushings are made from I believe the same material as valve guides are made from and EMW makes them from Bronze stock as needed, so I don't see why you can't call them and order a set.

Here are a set that were for the 356 Style Lifter, that I had them open up for Type 1 Lifters, the lifters used were from Udo Becker, in my 2.6 ltr.

Richard

EMW

wreck

Post by wreck »

I'm not sure with Udo ,I got my lifters from Thorsten ,he can supply the bushes as well.
    No matter where you go , there you are !
    Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Hummel wrote:Are you Guys making the bronze bushing yourself? In that case, what is the excact type of bronze you use?? Or is it possible to buy them anywhere?? Im planning to use either Udo becker or Thorsten Piper Tool steel lifters in my Next type4 engine, and i should be able to Mount the bushing myself, but i can't find them anywhere.

Someone here in the US used to carry Thorstens lifters & T4/WBX bore inserts before he went off to work for the man...
    shaq55?
    Addendum to Newtons first law:
    zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
    EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
    Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Shag has Thorsten tool steel, Mario at dubshop has Prescott tool steel lifters, Aircooled.net has Udo tool steel lifters, and Jaycee also makes their own.
    Type 4 Unleashed

Piledriver wrote:

Someone here in the US used to carry Thorstens lifters & T4/WBX bore inserts before he went off to work for the man...
    shaq55?

Here's the link to a guy who makes the T4/WBX Bushings you were talking about, and I had bought a set but did not like them at all so had to eat the purchase price cause I was never going to use them, the ones from EMW are much better.
    Richard

EMW

CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

schubeck lifters
    they weigh in at 66 grams
    wreck

Post by wreck »

Hi all
    resurrecting an old topic on camshafts . I'm chasing some ideas and feedback on a couple of cams ,
    the engine is a 103x78 with 5.325 rods Pieper T1 lifters , heads are mildly welded amc square port 46 in 40 ex valves . It has an AA crank and I want to keep the redline at 7500rpm.
    It is going in a 69 ghia that will be a street car that will see track days etc. but not a daily driver .

I've got a web 277(320 degrees 572lift) that I got cheap , has anyone run this cam in a similar 2600cc . I conversed with Jakob at Get Back on Track about one in a 2.8 they built but he said the power came in lower in the rev range then expected because the exhaust wasn't up to the rest of the package .peak power was around 6500.

I ran the specs through Pipemax and it gives that cam's power band of approx 6-8k and my heads 4500-6500. I'll be building a stepped exhaust system to pipemaxs specs , so wondering if I'll be better off with a lower duration cam . get everything working together more in the theory side of things.
    Does anybody have any experience with scat C55, 310 degrees and 533 lift .
    cheers Wreck
    Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

500 CI Pro stock motors--- some of the Top NA drag class, sometimes run 1.5" primaries, and spin to >10K.
    They do it to maximise TQ, at a very small loss on the top end.
    There's a lot of voodoo and BS rules of thumb out there, like collector sizes that only take into account "dyno charts"---RPM from just below Pk TQ, ignoring the bottom end can fall off a cliff, and the top end works very little better than ridiculous-looking venturi-merged collector setup you would swear would be restrictive on a lawnmower.

"The bigger the motor, the smaller a given cam looks" is still an effect, but setting it up for the reasonable operating range the heads will support is far more sensible.
    Less can actually be more, as a motor with too much cam sucks to drive.

But on a motor that sized a 277 might not be that insane, depending on head specs.
    You need to hit someone who has direct experience or model it in the EAPro demo at least.

Not a huge fan of any non-nitrided cams.
    I'm personally 4:0 running "nitrided" and 0:4 running non-nitrided cams and supposedly matching lifters from several supposedly great sources. (Running proper oil etc)
    (Non-nitrided==Anything other than WEBCAM or Jakes in house grinds for ACVW stuff, not sure if Pauter does it. I have not tried the CB T4 cams yet, and am disinclined, but they do have a decent rep)
    Addendum to Newtons first law:
    zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
    EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
    wreck

Post by wreck »

I've got a book by David Vizard on porting and horsepower , a lot of his practices are similar to Ham's advice on STF on valve /port size and big is not always better .Sometimes you're better off sacrificing some peak horsepower for a broader power band . Minimum intake port area at the moment is 80% of valve area. Once the valves are done I can start flow benching and see what numbers I get . the exhaust ports are about 92% of valve area .
    I think I'll run the 277 and suck and see , I've got tool steel lifters,so cam changes will only cost me my time and possibly another set of pushrods depending on the base circle .
    I like the C55 because it has more lift then the 86C and in the T1 circles it seems to have a reputation as easy on the valve train . I would get it nitrated locally before using it. It would be good to hear from people who've run either cam .