Need info: T127 engine

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
typ4dude

Re: Need info: T127 engine

Post by typ4dude »

German Folks still sell them :shock:

https://www.vebeg.de/web/de/verkauf/suc ... he+Starten

I know, it`s a little late, tomorrow they are gonna be sold (Monday April 26.)
short translation: 21 pieces type 4 - 127 `used` motors sold over vebeg by the german `Bundeswehr`
I would like to have one :oops:
greetz Micha
bill.est

Post by bill.est »

What price they are sold?
typ4dude

Post by typ4dude »

They`re sold for 7218.- € that`s about 340 € each. About 450 US-Dollar each :shock:
I`m still looking for an intake with carb, let me know if you have one for sale !
UK66Bug

Post by UK66Bug »

Interesting thread as i bought a carb and manifold in the early 90s and wondered where it had come from.Sold the manifold to a guy doing a turbo conversion .I wish i had kept the carb as it looks like a 28pci but is actually a 32.The bolt spacing is slightly wider and it has no drilling for the accellerator pump but would have made an interesting Vintage speed project .There must be dozens of them knocking about if so many of these engines have ended up in Vans ,but never seen one for sale.
busman78

Post by busman78 »

I have three of carb/intake assy for sale, complete, new take-off's.
busman78

Post by busman78 »

Slipped one of the T127 intakes with a Weber 34ICH on to my 2.0L bus engine. Runs great, really smooth, had to tinker with the factory jetting but no biggie.

Here are a couple pictures of the set up, first installed on a spare engine in the garage then a few of the set up in my 78 bay.
aeLiXihr

Post by aeLiXihr »

tuna wrote:Our own Tony Z sent me some photos of a T127 engine and number plate that he has access to.
hi, anyone got more info on the exhaust system? Particularly on how the singlecarbmanifold is provided with heat.
Thanks!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you had heads with the AIR ports, it would be pretty easy to hook up.

I strongly suggest you use that heat riser setup, even if you have to run something custom in 1/2" SS off a stub and back to the muffler.

That's the only way a single carb will ever work properly.

(if the aftermarket setups had proper heat heat risers like that we wouldn't cuss about them)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
aeLiXihr

Post by aeLiXihr »

hi, thanks for the reply!
i mean how it is done by vw themselves in this topics 1st pic.
what are AIR ports? i got 2 engines GE (1971cc from a bus) and GA (1971cc from a 914)
this one and this one
they do not have heat risers...
that is: if you mean these (i am no native english speaker so i am probably confusing things)
cheerz
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

No, the AIR system is the fresh air pump emissions system. it was not used everywhere, possibly just a California thing.

You'll know if the heads have it due to the holes into the exhaust ports, the tubes come out next to the intake ports.
I forget the exact thread but "lamp" assy threaded tubing fits well.

Most of the time these just get plugged/welded up.

To make a workable system, you would need to weld some ~1/2" tubing onto the header at one point and back to the exhaust at the collector or at another port/stub.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
aeLiXihr

Re:

Post by aeLiXihr »

this one is not intended for a single carb right?
anyone got picas from a singlecarb exhaust system?
thanks!
oorwullie wrote:Image
Piledriver wrote:No, the AIR system is the fresh air pump emissions system. it was not used everywhere, possibly just a California thing.

You'll know if the heads have it due to the holes into the exhaust ports, the tubes come out next to the intake ports.
I forget the exact thread but "lamp" assy threaded tubing fits well.
...thanks, interesting! can you link me?
i only found this and this.
Pidget

Post by Pidget »

Hi,

I just picked up one of these engines last week. Never been used, which was quite a find. Let me know if you have any questions. I will strip the 127 specifics off, and put some Weber carbs on.

Chris
IMG_20120227_212335.jpg
IMG_20120227_212302.jpg
IMG_20120227_212237.jpg
IMG_20120227_212218.jpg
IMG_20120225_183512.jpg
IMG_20120225_183451.jpg
IMG_20120225_183428.jpg
IMG_20120225_183414.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pidget on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

Well, I finally scanned the 127 industrial manual and service manual. Here they are.... hopefully it isnt copyrighted or anything.

Humby

Post by Humby »

I also have some info.

I live in Belgium and recently I got some of those industrial Type4 engines.
They were used in trolley busses in Switzerland, so busses that do not use any fuel, but electricity to drive. They ride around in town and they're always connected to the electricity with two cables on the roof.
The VW Type4 engine was used as a "emergency unit" to produce some electricity, when the electric supply was faulty.

One engine was originally in this bus and has only 35 working hours:

The buses are replaced by new-ones, so the old ones are "recycled". They were used from 1982 until now.

The engine itself has the T127 code, however one has an AP code but is similar to the others.
It's a 1800cc, 50kW, limited to 4000rpm
Here's an identification plate:

They have some double Solex PDSIT 36-40 carburators and electronic ignition. Everything is 12V!
Almost every engine has heater boxes and they are all in great shape! They start very easily and they run like a Swiss clockwork!

I converted one engine with an upright CSP conversion for my 1303S bug and I will soon post a topic about it.
I also took of the heads, to remove the gaskets for a slightly higher compression ratio, and all the pieces inside were like new!

I'm really curious about the driving experience in my bug with this engine...

Aircooled greetz,

Humby
dawie

Post by dawie »

Nice. I see you have the "high performance" twin carb "S" (36/40PDSIT) version of the type 127.

Do you perhaps have some additional technical specifications for that version of the type 127 engine? Like carb jetting, venturi size, etc.
Thanks to Tony, we already have the single carb version's specs above, which include some info (in blue) on the twincarb type.