Best Type III Conversion Factory Parts

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Angelo Amato

Re: yellow fasty...

Post by Angelo Amato »

sorry for late reply....

cheers Blitz, not so much of a 0-60 times at the moment, after getting car completed last year, ran it for 12 months and not using at the moment while moving house.

have also sold 2 other cars from my collection, so can now focus on the Fasty and hope to get some mile under its belt in 2010 !

Angelo
blitzvw wrote:
Angelo Amato wrote:guys, if you're interested, my car has made a feature in the October 2009 issue of Volksworld :)

have a peek here !

http://www.volksworld.com/magazine/latestissue.html

Angelo
Just had a look at the magazine this morning!

Congratulations!

But,what type of 0-60 times are you getting with that Type 4 in there?
Angelo Amato

Re:

Post by Angelo Amato »

I've forgotten what i did :roll: but basically used the wire that goes to the starter solenid (it goes direct to battery from there) and wired up a new Type 4 electronic voltage regulator located by the gearbox. Works as it should :wink:

Angelo
66 deluxe wrote:Any body got some pics or the like of how the wiring was joined together from the type 4 alternator to the existing type 3 wiring? As i finally have the engine in mine.

Cheers Damo.
jan72

Re: Best Type III Conversion Factory Parts

Post by jan72 »

Bobnotch wrote:I'm using the stock 914 set up in mine. My 71 Square-vert has a 72-73 EA case 1.7L 914 engine in it, with t-4 D-jet FI. The 914 case isn't drilled for an external dipstick down in the right corner. Pics can be seen in the Samba gallery under Bobnotch in the Squareback section. Sorry I don't have a direct link to them. :wink:
I saw the pictures. It looks like the 411 fastback/914 oil filler clears the hatch.
Bobnotch, can you take a measurement for me, please, from the uppermost part of the plenum to the inner side of the hatch?
Thanks.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Most of the pictures in this thread are dead. Did anyone download Angelo's pictures so we can upload them back into this thread?

I've got a new project going and I'd like to see how others accomplished this conversion. Tuna's site is helpful but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Hm forgot about this thread...
We can now upload pictures as long as they are 800x600 or less and <250K, so hopefully Angelo can add them.

One of the critical needs for any T4 motor and particularly the T4>T3 swap is an exhaust that works.

I "stretched" the EMW pipes with some 1 5/8" SS tubing sleeves, about an inch.
Result is appx 1.5" x 40" primary tri-Y, equal length, should work quite well.
Uses EMW "HX replacement pipes", Bursch 914 exhaust (1.7L) and a Bugpack hide away muffler with minor cutting/rewelding on the pipes.
(This should work fine on a Bay Bus as well)

Heres a pic of the frankenstien exhaust after tacking:
T3Bursch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Angelo Amato

Post by Angelo Amato »

hi,

my ISP has changed and my webspace went off, loading pics up on my photobucket accound now,

http://s836.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... /Fastback/

keep looking will add more.

cheers, angelo
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You are 'da man, Angelo!

Now I'm gonna have to pull mine back out and paint everything pretty... :lol:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Thanks Angelo!
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

This is my setup, mostly OEM parts but I got a few goodies too.

65 notch
2L bus motor (had a hydro cam/lifters, in the middle of swapping to a raby cam/ solid lifters)
stock bus djet intake runners/inj/rails/regulator/AAR/CHT sender
MS1/MSextra firmware
Ford COPs/VR sensor/TPS
GM IAT
Walbro inline fuel pump
early bus HE/header(w/ bung)/bugpack quitepack muffler
411 air duct
914 1.8L plenum(the one that came on the motor was smashed beyond repair, and the porsche ones don't have the EGR BS)
914 pushrods
EMW heavy duty single springs/chromoly retainers/hardened keepers and new exhaust valves
200mm flywheel

I tore the motor apart to clean/inspect it and sure enough the heads had 3 cracks. Everything is on the way to reassemble the longblock, I still need a trigger wheel(there is a nice one that I have been eyeing on ebay), some pigtail connectors for the COPs/TPS, and some coil drivers for my MS. I have been collecting parts for the last 2 months so it will be nice to finally hear her running. here's a few pics, after I get it running I'll put up a build thread.

This thread has helped me quite a bit, thanks to everyone that has contributed.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
damo99

Post by damo99 »

look forward to seing your build thread(supaninja)
this is my notch i am in the process of putting a type 4 into it (for the last year)
all the info on here has been so much help .
i'll put some photo's when i'm done
66 deluxe

Post by 66 deluxe »

Damo99, if your doing the conversion i have the correct 411 station wagon intake flange if you want it.
damo99

Post by damo99 »

66 deluxe wrote:Damo99, if your doing the conversion i have the correct 411 station wagon intake flange if you want it.
thanks anyway i already have 2 of them i bought of the samba a few years ago awaiting this swap.
but i'm not sure if i'm going to use them as i like pattern (on this forum)that uses the stock type 3 bellows as then there is no cutting of the engine bay
thanks damo
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

damo99 wrote:
66 deluxe wrote:Damo99, if your doing the conversion i have the correct 411 station wagon intake flange if you want it.
thanks anyway i already have 2 of them i bought of the samba a few years ago awaiting this swap.
but i'm not sure if i'm going to use them as i like pattern (on this forum)that uses the stock type 3 bellows as then there is no cutting of the engine bay
thanks damo
I'm using the 411 air duct, but to make the t3 bellows seal properly i'll get a few of the giant zip ties(keep a couple as spares), that will be the simplest route. now if i had my own welding equipment and a good t3 shroud tin then i would just make my own, but i don't have either so giant ziptie it is.
damo99

Post by damo99 »

how do you use zipties on the 411 duct as the rubber peice has 3 big bolt holes witch i assume bolt to the
body and the other end is a tight fit over a lip on the plastic peice that bolts to the motor .
not like the type 3 duct witch is held on both ends by clamps
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

use a 411 plastic air duct, and a type 3 rubber bellow. i mocked it up, the bellow is a bit larger diameter then the air duct, you need a giant zip tie, probably a 2-3ft one.