Best Type III Conversion Factory Parts

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Clatter

Re: Best Type III Conversion Factory Parts

Post by Clatter »

Piledriver wrote:oops... I think I took the pictures and then got distracted by something shiny, will post up asap.
....Crickets....
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Clatter wrote:
Piledriver wrote:oops... I think I took the pictures and then got distracted by something shiny, will post up asap.
....Crickets....

I know, this is an odd excuse from someone living near Dallas, but the closest I have been able to get to working on the square in the last ~6 weeks has been checking the oil when I fill it up. Hopefully my driveway will dry out soon.

The pics I had apparently were eaten by bitworm when my iphone died.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Clatter wrote:
....Crickets....
Finally had it off to reinstall the AC pulley etc.
I should probably have put a few stitches or staples in it for for the cord channels, the RTV doesn't set well/fast enough to be useful.
Probably have ~30K miles on it by now, zero issues even when OMG hot out.

I tack welded a loop of 1/4" brake line around the OD for a smooth outer edge.
silicone-t3-duct.JPG
silicone-t3-duct-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

:shock:

:lol:

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It fits a lot better than the t3 bellows and has a spring tensioned loop of wire securing each end, does not leak and goes on/comes off in seconds, no cussing required.

The whole thing comes off to change the fan belt in under 30 seconds if the exhaust isn't smoking hot.
The metal part is held on with 3 "extended nuts"---5/16" steel standoffs drilled//tapped to 6mm.
...All 3 easily accessible outside the adapter.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I like it.
Can't believe you finally posted up some pics!
Guess it shows how long these things can stay together and run sometimes, eh?

Something that bugged me about the 411/412 black plastic adaptor part was the huge gaps all around the intake right at the fan shroud;
It doesn't real seal down to the shroud at all.

Post some pics of your A/C set-up if you get the chance?

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There is still a ~2mm gap at the fan, but that isn't going to flow anything significant.

I get a nice pull on both air intakes on the side of the car even at idle, and the air in the fan housing is within 1C of ambient temps when running. (stuck a TC down the timing light hole to see)

The AC pics are all in the under dash AC review thread.
(I got cold air as of yesterday (only took 4 years...) finishing some details then putting the fender back on now)
jerkhalter

Post by jerkhalter »

What's up guys! I just picked up 69 fastback and it came with type 4 motor as the previous owner intended on doing the swap but hasn't done anything yet except collect a bus mustache mount........I don't know much about how this will work and hope this thread can help me get though it. I only wish the pictures were still here
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF!!!

I still have most the pics I have posted over the years, as well as some new ones.

I started a build thread in the t3 forum awhile back, probably make most sense to put them all there.