Type 4 turbo: 2,2 ltr: New cooling system

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Steve Arndt

Re: Type 4 turbo: 2,2 ltr: New cooling system

Post by Steve Arndt »

What linkage are you using for the throttle? I have a dual bearing Power Tuning linkage kit for my T4 build. Haven't tried it yet.
Steve
Wally

Post by Wally »

CSP
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

Wally wrote:...... The new cam works even better down low in the rpm-band then I would have thought tbh :-)
Very curieus if it keeps it going up top too.
Which cam did you put in there Wally?

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
Wally

Post by Wally »

Secret custom EMW cam!

Buhwhahaha!
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Wally wrote:Secret custom EMW cam!

Buhwhahaha!

NIce!

Good one .........
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

BUWAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

GOOD ONE Wally!
:)

I'll let you know how mine works...

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
gort

Post by gort »

Awesome thread. Wally How is the upright cooling sys working? I have read all the bs about 1&2 cylinders cooling better etc but no real world test results. Thanks J
Wally

Post by Wally »

Yeah, I hear you..
Some upright 911 cooling systems are better then others though. This one functions very well for me, even with its much smaller crank pulley then the horizontal system had.
Wally

Post by Wally »

About that EMW cam... I kinda had to take it out as I had a...uhm... main bearing failure after I flogged it for 40 minutes on the track of Spa Francorchamp:

Without going into those nasty details (my own fault as I didn;t notice the back pressure hose had come off..), I just wanted to show you guys how extremely nice the cam still looked like, even though I took spoons of alu bearing shavings out of the sump, tank and oil filter AND drove back the 260km home...
All in all I did 3 track days including the above with many 7,5K+ RPM events, a dyno session, several journeys abroad and a 1/8 mile event with this cam already this season and still looked like spanking NEW! I was pretty flabbergasted tbh. I am sure the Kendall heavy ZDDP oil and tool steel lifters helped a lot too, but still look at it:

Thumbs up for the cam Jorge! :wink:
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Nice.

Is it really a secret cam, or something they have in stock? The cam and oils lines are the last items to procure for my 78x103 PTP engine.
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

That is amazing!
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

You are not being honest with us?
You should have at least slapped some oil on.... :-)

Jorge is good. I have been buying from him on and off since 1985.
Last time I bought a set of....a ....uhh I cant say if Jake reads it I lose friendship. Anyway, it was from China and had a 104 mm measurement.
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Wally, now I am just more and more impressed. 40 minutes of hard racing is tough for any car and driver.
Nice!

What is a back pressure hose?
What is that small black patch on your window?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

How did the crank look?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Steve Arndt wrote:Nice.

Is it really a secret cam, or something they have in stock? The cam and oils lines are the last items to procure for my 78x103 PTP engine.
Nah, though its not completely stock either: Remember, I am still just experimenting myself and any benefits might just be from the smaller turbo I put on as well.
Just saying, this cam is probably still not optimal with regard to valve timing, but I am getting extremely good info from these swaps of cams and turbo's.

Still, together (this cam swap + smaller turbo) the current combo gave a huge bump in lower rpm torque (my intend).
To show how you can be mistaken by just looking at duration and lift to asses where the powerband of a cam lies: this grind has 11 degrees more duration at 050 and 0.3" more lift (at the valve) and still had it max.power at 500 rpm less then before !!

Thats why I am a little reluctant just to mention the cam and have people form an opinion about it, just basing it on the shortlist specs of duration and lift.
Valve timing and Lobe Center are just as important I've come to experience more and more. When you mix those 4 important cam parameters (there is ramp rate as well as 5th, but lets assume thats already ok-ish), all sorts of caracteristics mix and you can end up with a less then optimal powerband and might not even realize it.
And thats just with MY heads, rod ratio, cc's, etc...

Having said that, its just an I-grind on +2 degrees (108, stock is 106) LC :wink: