Dazed and Confused over T4 parts

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Roc

Post by Roc »

I have been searching for my new parts for my T4 mod. I have found that the Type 4 things I can find are very expensive, where the Type 2 stuff is still reasonable. I saw a set of 94cc P&C for almost $400 but then saw a set of the same things for a type 2 that was only $165. I cannot find T4 cranks, but I can find T1 and 2 cranks in the 78cc settings I wanted. Am I missing something here? Is the type 4 mod just a beefed type 2 or is there something I am just not understanding here. Could I just be looking in the wrong place? I see that this is going to be a real challenge for parts in this small town that I live in. Most of these things I have to find on the internet.
Also, where can I find the Gen/Alt tower for this case of mine? I have yet to figure this out. I have a rectagular like protrusion up the front/rt side of the case where the alt/gen goes.
I have made a list of things that I need to start this project:

210 flywheel (GEX)
T4 crank (78) ( I know.. avoid BB stuff)
Cam and lifters (Weber)
1800cc heads
94 P&C (Cima Mahle Graghites)
Bearing set
Rings (Total seal?)

Now can I just get the T2 stuff that works or is there something I have to have that makes this specific to T4?
Now that I am all confused over this. Will this put me in the range for 100hp yet? I have not made my mind up on the Carbs yet, but am looking at some Webers. I have an .009 Dizzy and will use the Pertronic system. Still cant find a header for it, but might have a local shop build this for me. How does this sound so far?
~~~Roc
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Hey,
It's as clear as mud.
T1 is a beetle and uses an upright fan motor (commonly referred to as a T1 motor)
T2 is a bus
early buses prior to '72 used an upright fan motor (basically a T1 motor with some mounting differences but identical internals)
late buses used a flat motor with fan at the rear end of the motor(back of bus) this came in 1700,1800 and 2L sizes. this same basic motor was also used in the 914 porsche and the volkswagen 411 and 412 and is commonly referred to as the T4 motor.
almost nothing is interchangable without modification.
So if you are buying T2 engine parts for a T4 motor they must be for a "Late T2"
If you are looking at T1 p&c for $165 they are probably a bigbore kit for a T1 or early T2 and will not fit a T4 motor
Jeff